• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

just seen an article on bbc breakfast (8.50 am) regarding fraud, if u goto bbc site on pc/laptop etc you can view it , maybe tools could post it up or put it up as a link ?, the article finishes by telling us more information will be on today at 12 noon on radio4 money program, the article is especially interesting as the comment about THEFT NOT FRAUD !!!! pricked my ears up, I think lb know the guy who done the piece on bbc breakfast so that's great news for all!

whistling dixie

Comment

Mule account just obtained, do your stuff. First thing Monday morning, hopefully :bounce:

Bank Name: Barclays
      Account number: 53852202
      Sort code: 20-44-91
      Branch : Islington (London)
      Beneficiary Name: Tomasz Trusek

*Bacs, CHAPS and Faster Payments are accepted.

Invoice#: 71452745
      Subtotal: £4,200.00
      Shipping(Free): £0.00

Deposit: £0.00

Total: £4,200.00

Comment

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle / Car Scams

Scambait or victim?
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Scambait

MeTogdci@mprobt.co.uk

Sep 27 at 7:36 PM

Yeah, I wanna buy that Navara. Have the cash

Reply, Reply all or Forward | More

AliceToMe

Sep 27 at 8:34 PM

Hello,
          The Nissan navara is still for sale in excellent condition, with no damages or any faults. All necessary documents available. My current location is Scotland due to my work commitments. If this is going to be a quick sale, I will let it go for £4200 delivered at my costs.
          The deal will go through eBay and PayPal.
          Thank you

Show message history

MeToAlice

Sep 27 at 9:01 PM

Yes - £4200 is OK with me.

How can I send the money to you?

AliceToMe

Sep 27 at 9:32 PM

I will agree for a 5-7 days of full inspection period ( after the date you receive the car ). This means that you have 7 days to inspect the car for any damages and decide if you want to keep it or not!
          Because I will sign eBay's return policy, your money will be insured by them and you will have the option to reject the deal, only if we go through PayPal as well. If this is the case, you will receive a full refund (money back) from PayPal and I will have to take the car back on my cost!
          You can read more about it following the link below:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/con...rn-policy.html

Let me know if the above return policy is acceptable and if you want to purchase the car please confirm your PayPal email for further instructions.

Alice

Show message history

MeToAlice

Sep 27 at 9:58 PM

Yes, I accept those terms. You already have my PayPal email address.

AliceToMe

Today at 1:53 PM

Hi Mike sorry for delay are you still interested ? shall I get this started ?

Alice

Show message history

MeToAlice

Today at 4:24 PM

Yes I definitely want to buy it, so let's get this started

Show message history

AliceToMe

Today at 4:54 PM

Done, The PayPal invoice have been sent with all instructions how to proceed, please check your email folders also spam/bulk email folder due to internet traffic it may be be caught there.
          Many Thanks

Alice

--------------------------------------------------------------------

PayPal invoice for eBay purchases - item #140785144711 - 2007 NISSAN NAVARA AVENTURA DCi DOUBLE CAB(2)

PayPalToMe

Today at 4:54 PM

Thanks for using PayPal.
          The seller has requested the payment through PayPal and we offered to cover all the risks for you and the seller.
          It is our responsibility to inform Buyers about our Sellers. You are dealing with a verified PayPal member, protected by our PayPal services such as insurance and dispute resolution, and you may buy and sell with confidence in all eBay transactions with this seller.

You should proceed accordingly to complete the transaction in a safe manner.

The following is a notice from PayPal Trust & Safety Department regarding:

Item Title - 2007 NISSAN NAVARA AVENTURA DCi DOUBLE CAB
          Item Number - 140785144711
          Item Price - £4,200.00
          Buy safely using eBay's Buyer Protection Program
          This vehicle is eligible for up to £10,000 in Buyer Protection when your transaction is completed through PayPal
          It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.
          For any questions contact PayPal Live Support by clicking here

Complete the transaction in 5 easy, secure and safe steps!
          1. eBay accepts the transaction and offers purchase protection to the buyer (if the transaction is declined, no further action is required from either the buyer or the seller);
          2. All information received will be processed by PayPal under the direct review of eBay Inc.
          3. The Buyer follows instructions and sends the payment to the assigned PayPal representative bank account.
          After the payment is cleared and verified by PayPal under the review of eBay Inc, it will be secured into a non-interest bearing trust account. Payment being secured, the Seller is notified by PayPal to deliver the vehicle to the Buyer. The Seller has 5 (five) business days to start the deliver procedure. The seller must deliver the vehicle for inspection along with the certificate of title, signed Bill of sale in the Buyer's name, all keys and all ownership documents. The vehicle must be delivered along with all documentation requested by the Buyer in order to allow him to change the registration in his name as soon as he will decide to accept it after the inspection period will be over.
          If no delivery procedure is started, a full refund is immediately sent to the Buyer.
          As soon as the delivery procedure will start, the Buyer should wait for the vehicle and documentation to be delivered.

4. After the inspection period is over, the Buyer must contact PayPal with the result of the inspection of the vehicle.
          The Buyer receives the vehicle and has 5-7 (five-seven) business days to inspect it. The inspection period will not begin until PayPal has confirmed delivery of the vehicle by either Buyer’s or shipper’s notification.

5. If he refuses it a full refund is immediately sent to the Buyer if the reason that determined the Buyer not to keep the vehicle is strictly related to the vehicle's condition i.e (different from what the seller has advertised, described and agreed to sell to you).
          The Seller will have the obligation to make all necessary arrangements in order to take the vehicle from Buyer’s possession in maximum 3 (three) business days.
          If the vehicle and documentation are as advertised, described and agreed, the Buyer should accept it. If the Buyer accepts the vehicle, the payment will be sent to the Seller within 3 (three) business days.

How to proceed from this moment?
          The conventional method of transferring funds to a PayPal member cannot be used due to the large amount that must be paid.
          Payment must be submitted via bank transfer to the PayPal representative bank account assigned for this transaction. PayPal will secure the payment until the Buyer receives, inspects and accepts the vehicle. Or, if it is the case, PayPal will refund the payment to the Buyer.
          Protecting the security of your payment is our primary concern.
          PayPal representative Bank account* : Payment details:
          Bank Name: Barclays
          Account number: 53852202
          Sort code: 20-44-91
          Beneficiary Name: Tomasz Trusek

*Bacs, CHAPS and Faster Payments are accepted.
          Invoice#: 71452745
          Subtotal: £4,200.00
          Shipping(Free): £0.00

Deposit: £0.00

Total: £4,200.00
          Consult your bank or financial institution for more information on how to complete a bank transfer. Please note that it is extremely important to use the exact details of the account. The beneficiary name must be as written above. Include "71452745" on the "reference" field of the bank transfer instructions. Failure to use the exact information as stated above will result in your bank transfer being returned to you at your own expense.
          We recommend the online transfer system, because it saves a considerable amount of time.Online Banking saves you the trouble of going to a bank and wasting your valuable time (payments can also be made on the weekends). If this is your first time making an online transfer, please go to your bank’s website in order to read about the procedure.
          The electronic transfer from bank to bank is considered to be the safest international payment method. The transfer data are transmitted through an encrypted communication channel.

CONFIDENTIALITY AND NON-DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT

* Do not disclose any information related to your PayPal purchase agreement to any third parties (i.e 1. your seller, 2. your bank)
          1. Of to where your funds are being sent.

2. The actual reason the bank transfer is to be sent to your assigned representative.

Questions?
          Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, click here to enter PayPal Live Support
          PayPal protects your bank account number the same way we protect your credit card number – it's not exposed to merchants when you pay.
          Once you transfer the payment to your assigned PayPal representative bank account as per the instructions and non-disclosure agreement above all your money will be fully guaranteed and fully protected.

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. You are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy this message.

Sincerely,
          PayPal

Copyright © 1999-2014 PayPal, Inc. or its Affiliates.
          All rights reserved.
          PayPal Email ID PP841
          Last edited by Buster Jack; 28th September 2014, 18:40:PM. Reason: typo

Comment

In their intray, thanks Buster
            Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

here is a quick update from

ESCROW-FRAUD.COM/SEARCH.PHP

SEARCH DATABASE-ESCROW FRAUD PREVENTION :

Stop Escrow Fraud

Records 1 thorough 50 of 13387

13520 26-Sep-2014 Worldwide Delivery http://euromat-solutions-ltd.com 81.169.145.157 Layout210
              13519 26-Sep-2014 Cao Transporters http://global-transporters-consultant.co.... 212.227.195.198 Layout96
              13518 26-Sep-2014 Sealion Freight Transport http://sealionfreight.net 87.106.158.75 Layout272
              13517 17-Sep-2014 abm-international.eu http://abm-international.eu 82.165.184.201 Layout230
              13516 16-Sep-2014 NYK Shipping Ltd. http://nyk-shipping.com 87.106.158.17 Layout272
              13515 16-Sep-2014 European Mover Transport, Inc. http://eu-move3000.com 168.144.119.4 Layout40
              13514 14-Sep-2014 WordWide Booking http://worldwidebooking.net 91.223.82.17 Layout315
              13513 14-Sep-2014 Polaris Cargo http://polaris-cargoexpress.com 46.4.81.125 Layout99
              13512 14-Sep-2014 Courier-Tds http://tds-courier.com 46.30.212.137 Layout305
              13511 13-Sep-2014 Eurolines Delivery Ltd. http://eurolinesltd.com 87.106.158.53 Layout272
              13510 10-Sep-2014 Crio-Courier http://crio-courier.com 81.169.145.152 Layout305
              13509 02-Sep-2014 ArkonShip Logistics http://arkonship.com
              THIS MIGHT PREVENT SOMEONE LOSING THERE HARD EARNED CASH

dixie:beagle:

Comment

Not sure if this could be of help to anyone, but a guy who was scammed on an eBay-listed ice-cream van the other day sent me this:-

• Hi Jack, I traced the ip address of the bogus ebay emails and it gave me the following co-ordinates to an address in London, only 15 minutes from the bank where the scammers account was setup The source IP address is 5.62.15.85.Country United KingdomState/Region H9City LondonLatitude 51.5142Longitude -0.093099999999993

• 24/09/2014 09:42

100 Cheapside London. Surely the fraud team could take a look at this?
                  [*=center]Wednesday

Comment

Spooky, I was 30 yards away from there on Wednesday. IP lookup tools can vary widely and the scammers know how to mask them. Sadly 99% of IP addresses are duff leads.

Comment

i think we need to make paul lewis aware of this thread, this was from saturday http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04j9z77 its the first ten minutes

this is there contact moneybox@bbc.co.uk , in my email to them i will explain how the bbc are ATTEMPTING to cover the story, i apreciate the coverage but i get frustated when they skirt around the size of the problem,failure to mention barclays bank plc, not asking ebay inc/ gumtree/autotrader why they can't remove fraudulant adverts when scambaiters can do single handedly what there whole fraud departments can't ?? what the scambaiters do with no resources is fantastic especially when they prevent someone that comes close to losing thousands, without what there doing i'm sure there would be a surge of fraudulant ads along with thousands more victims , i'm sure someone from lbs was on that program lately ? , the more people we can get on board the better especially the likes of paul lewis, as a victim i dont feel as though my mp was interested enough to take it further than writing to barclays and gumtree( same scripted cover there asses letter back ) but i urge any other victims to prompt there mp to take this on for you, if /when u listen to the above thread i am interested in what appears to be a fraud , exactly the same as online car ad scam is in ACTUAL FACT A THEFT !!!, is theft taken more seriousely than fraud???, i intend to find out

Comment

Dixie, I had already contacted them before Saturday's programme, and yes Kate has has spoken on the programme many times before. We speak with the producers and research team quite often. Following an email they sent to me today I am scheduled to speak with them sometime this week.

Comment

Originally posted by dixie2013 View Post
                        i think we need to make paul lewis aware of this thread, this was from saturday http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04j9z77 its the first ten minutes

I've just listened to that, and yet again the right questions are not being asked, never mind the right answers given.

Interesting though that there was a mention of a hypothetical scenario of someone being mugged at an ATM and having £700 nicked - this would trigger an immediate investigation. But if someone falls victim to an online scam of £700 (i.e. the outcome for the victim is pretty much the same), law enforcement agencies can barely stifle their yawns. And as often as not, it's becaause the perpetrator is 'uncatchable'. I met the NFIB just over a year ago and I was disturbed to learn how little they knew about online vehicle fraud (they invited me to London so that I could 'educate them'), but it was clear to me that the motivation running through a fraud detective's veins is to (and I'm quoting the NFIB here) "break down doors". But in the murky world of online vehicle fraud, despite the cops knowing the robbers' names, they don't know where the doors are and because those doors are in another country, their interest fizzles away to near-nothing.

The common denominator in all of this is TECHNOLOGY. Basically, the law-breakers are way more tech-savvy than the law-makers. If those on the right side of the law had the same or better access to technology - and of course if the 'providers' like eBay could only beef up their security protocols - then this would quickly turn from being a losing battle to a winning one.

Comment

I just had a run in with this "Alice" character too luckily I suspected it was fake before it was too late

Comment

Thank you einer, I have passed on the details for TSB to look into.

What made you suspect it was a scam and how did you find us.

Comment

Hi Tools

I just thought "too good to be true it probably is" saying so i phoned paypal to check if this invoice was genuine and they couldn't find it on their system so I googled "car scams alice" and found out it was a scam and I just started going through to see that people posted similar ads and had similar fake invoices and that kinda brought me here although I'm now worried that this scammer has my email address and name and what he/she could do with it :S

Comment

Thank goodness you had doubts and googled, glad we came up in the results.

As for your details, do not worry, simply ignore any emails you may receive from them or forward them onto scams@legalbeagles.info . Have you reported it to Action Fraud and TSB bank yet? If not I suggest you do, even though there was no loss it counts in the statistics.

Just to pre warn you though, reporting it to TSB will probably drive you insane and Action Fraud will only take the details to add to the database, no call to action will be raised but it is still important to report it.

Also be wary of any future phishing emails pretending to be from your bank, ebay, autotrader etc and never click links within an email, type the genuine web address into your search bar.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X