• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle / Car Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

Yes the advert was for VW Golf 2010 reg with 42K for sale for £4050.
    The seller exactly the same contact details. The seller is one Richard Neuman email address rchdn@gmail.com.
    The email received - word for word exact except for the car he was selling.

Comment

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle / Car Scams

Were you caught out by this or did you realise?
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
        Were you caught out by this or did you realise?
        Thankfully no ! My bank alerted me that it sounded like a scam! Lesson learnt.
        Do I need to upload any of the details given to me to file with you/ record with you? The supposed seller has just emailed telling me he's forked out lots of money to set up the transaction. What a shame!

Comment

Can someone please help me? I have just "bought" a car from vtm-transportes.com and am beginning to wonder if i have been conned? I want to go to the police but am not sure what to do?

Please help me.

Brian

Comment

Call YOUR bank first see if they can recall the transfer, then call the bank you sent tthe money to and post up the bank account details. Then Call the police and Action Fraud.

If you can post as much details as you have that will be helpful - including the vehicle listing and email details of communications you have had with the seller.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle / Car Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

Originally posted by oconno1s View Post
              Yes the advert was for VW Golf 2010 reg with 42K for sale for £4050.
              The seller exactly the same contact details. The seller is one Richard Neuman email address rchdn@gmail.com.
              The email received - word for word exact except for the car he was selling.
              Can you post up the bank details too if you have been given any.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by oconno1s View Post
                Thankfully no ! My bank alerted me that it sounded like a scam! Lesson learnt.
                Do I need to upload any of the details given to me to file with you/ record with you? The supposed seller has just emailed telling me he's forked out lots of money to set up the transaction. What a shame!
                That's good news that your bank alerted you, which bank are you with and can you tell us a bit more how they alerted you and why etc. Might help with the work going on with other banks so they do the same.
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

I have paid £2550 for a VW Polo. The details are: VRN MW60RDX. The seller is Donna Harland.

The Company is www.vtm-transportes.com and the bank details where i have sent the money to are as follows:

Bank: Barclays
                  Sort: 20-36-16
                  Account: 13447731
                  Paid to: Favian Ghizari

I have called my bank and they have raised an indemnity with the other bank (whatever that means) and i have called the Special Action Fraud Team, but they are busy and i have to call them back this afternoon.

Can anyone help and advise me what to do?

Comment

Thankyou - bank account reported
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

''Hi ,
                      Thank you for your interest in my xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Full Service History,1 previous owner.All documents in original folders. 2 key fobs.The car is in perfect condition, no accidents, no damage, scratches or dents. HPI clear and fully paid
                      I am selling it at £1,950 because I've just finished the divorce and I am very glad that I took it, because it was my ex husbands most precious thing. He cheated on me although we have 2 kids together, anyway I don't wish to bore you with my life's story...
                      I don't ask to much for it because I just want to get rid of it ASAP, just want to erase a bad memory and I should get rid of it.
                      The car is in xxxxxxx because I live here.As you can see from the pictures my car is in perfect condition.
                      From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request only secure pay. I prefer the payment to be done using....eBay services (I will receive the payment only after you receive and inspect the car and only if you agree to buy it). I will pay for shipping and handling (my ex buyer did not received his loan but he already paid for shipping) so there won't be any additional shipping costs for you.
                      If you are interested in buying it please provide me your full name, address and phone no for shipping so I can initiate the deal through eBay. I will wait your answer (if you are interested to buy) very soon.

Kind regards,
                      Dr Sofia Wallace''
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Just wondering who are the '' Special Action Fraud Team '' is that normal Action fraud with a special bit or something your bank has put you on to ?

When did you make the bank transfer ?

How did you communicate with the sellers ? text message and email ? If so could you post up the email address, phone numbers and text of any emails, ebay invoice etc. Basically everything you have on the buggers, all helps prevent others.

I can't find anything on the reference you gave either. Where did you find the vehicle ?
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Amethyst, i got this car through AutoTrader.

I made the bank transfer 3 days ago and I communicated with the seller via e-mail. dharland308@gmail.com

I don't know the difference between fraud teams but that is who the bank told me to ring so i did. I will call them back at 2pm, apparently they are quieter between 2 - 5pm. I just want my money back.

Comment

Latest Car Scam Warning:
                            Criminal gangs target car buyers through online car traders and auction sites.

Beware of individuals or websites offering to sell you a car below market price. These scammers advertise great deals on car trading websites and will ask you to send money before they ship your car. They will tell you the car is with their shipping agent and point you to a website which claims to securely hold your cash while they ship the car to you. They will even direct you to, what looks like, a reputable car shipping website, or money escrow site, but one they have simply copied from the web and changed the contact numbers to their partners in crime.

Copying a website is a very simple cut and paste job and some of these criminal websites can look very, very convincing. However, they are simply copies of genuine websites with the contact details changed. Phone numbers listed are to untraceable mobiles and emails sent to you via bulk email accounts.
                            If an email comes simply from an email account or an internet service provider be very suspicious.

DONT GET FOOLED. CHECK WHERE YOUR EMAIL HAS COME FROM:
                            Genuine companies will email you through their website:
                            Example: jim@autoshippers.co.uk is good, autoshippers@hotmail.com is a con. Always check your email headers by looking at the properties of the email sender. Tip: simply right click any email address, look at properties and you can usually see exactly where the email has really come from. You can also visit the website the email has come from. This is the bit after @. If that website is not an actual shipping company then the email has been designed to fool you. So, carshippingcompany@hotmail.com is coming from a www.hotmail.com account. It is not coming from a car shipping company!

We currently receive over 10 emails a day from victims of this fraud, this is now big business and easy money for fraudsters. It has also been the subject of a BBC investigation. You can see the news report on the BBC News: See also IC3 warning on auction fraud here: Ignore it. Bin it. Delete it. Do not answer it.

Some tips and advice.
                            • Be cautious of overly complicated transactions involving shipping agents, business partners, middle men and so on. If you see a cheap car for sale online, in another country, and things start getting complicated. WALK AWAY.
                            • As with all online transactions please check the credentials of who are you are dealing with. If you have advertised your car for sale online and someone contacts you from overseas with ready cash and a plan for you to pay the shipping agent up front after he has paid you for the car. WALK AWAY. If it sounds to good to be true, then it normally is.
                            • Please also be aware that anyone can just copy and paste a website, change a few contact details and they are in business. Always check out the website URL and CALL site owners. Watch out for telephone numbers without standard dialing codes. These can be disposable mobiles designed to be thrown away if tracked.
                            • PLEASE. Do not send money to a complete stranger by Western Union.
                            • Trust your instincts. If you get that itchy feeling in the back of your neck then ask around, ask a few friends what they think, if you have any doubts whatsoever then just bin that email and walk away.
                            • THIS ARTICLE IS COPYRIGHT FREE: Cut it, paste it, spread the word.
                              Better still lets use social media and get this message across.
                              Give this page a great big like and tell your buddies:

Written by www.autoshippers.co.uk we ship cars from the UK and
                              www.autocarshippers.com we ship cars from the USA

Comment

Avoid and report Google scams

By focusing on providing the best user experience possible, Google has earned a trusted brand name. Unfortunately, unscrupulous people sometimes try to use the Google brand to scam and defraud others. Here are a few common scams, and ways that you can avoid and report them.
                              Specific scams

General resources

Google Lotto scam

You receive an email claiming that you've won a Google Lottery and are asked for personal details. You may also be asked to pay a fee to release the funds (such as a money release fee, currency exchange, etc.).
                              Google doesn't run lotteries, and your email address hasn't been selected to win a prize. Do not reply back with your personal details.
                              Resources:

• Report the email as spam or phishing to your email provider. If you have Gmail, learn how to report spam and report phishing.
                              • If the email was sent from a Gmail address, you can report abuse to help Google take appropriate action on accounts involved in this scam.

• Spam: The abuse of electronic messaging systems to indiscriminately send unsolicited bulk messages.
                              • Phishing: Phishing is a type of online fraud where someone tries to trick the victim into revealing sensitive details such as a username, password or credit card details, by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication.

Google Wallet vehicle purchase scam

You find a cheap car online, and the seller claims that for your protection the purchase will be completed via Google Wallet. The car price is "too good to be true" and the seller claims a need to sell the car quickly because he or she is moving, moving out of the country, being called for military service, getting a divorce, etc. The reality is that there is no car, and you won’t be using Google Wallet. Instead, the seller will send you an invoice that appears to be from Google Wallet, but will instruct you to make the payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer.
                              A legitimate Google Wallet transaction will require that you sign in to your Google Account and execute the payment using the Google Wallet interface. Google Wallet does not accept wire transfers/bank transfers or payments via Western Union/MoneyGram, nor does it use any escrow type of payment.
                              Google Wallet used to be called Google Checkout, and some scammers still use the Checkout logo and trademarks in their emails and other communications.
                              Resources:

• Read more about the Google vehicle purchase scam.
                              • If you think you've encountered a scam involving a fraudulent Google Wallet transaction, complete this form to provide information to Google. The information you provide us with may be used to further investigate this matter in aggregate, and may be shared with the appropriate authorities as part of our effort to shut down these types of operations.
                              • If you received the email from a Gmail address, you can report abuse to help Google take appropriate action on accounts involved in this scam.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianMarkFoster View Post
                                Amethyst, i got this car through AutoTrader.

I made the bank transfer 3 days ago and I communicated with the seller via e-mail. dharland308@gmail.com

I don't know the difference between fraud teams but that is who the bank told me to ring so i did. I will call them back at 2pm, apparently they are quieter between 2 - 5pm. I just want my money back.
                                You have acted quite quickly. Sadly you have to be aware it is very unlikely you will get your money back. I don't have record of that account number already being reported - but doesn't mean it hasn't just I don't have record of it.

Could you give me the number you are calling the fraud team on please?

And would you have a link to the original advertisment on autotrader?
                                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X