• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

I'm very glad I found this thread, I enquired about a horse box on gumtree, that is apparently in Bletchley Buckinghamshire, at a remarkably good price. I made further enquiries and received an email from 'Anne' and now the horse box is in Fife, and belonged to her grandfather who died 3 months ago, and it could be driven to me for half the fuel cost, a story which has cropped up on this thread before and turned out to be a scam. I became suspicious because the box appears to be brand new in the photos, which were taken when the leaves were on the trees. Ran a check and it is not reported stolen etc. but I was still suspicious so did a search on gumtree vehicle fraud and found this thread. It pretty much confirms my suspicions. I have reported the post to gumtree as fraudulent, and hopefully it will be removed before anyone is caught out. This is the current link https://www.gumtree.com/p/pet-equipm...000/1156183185

and this is the email I received
    Anne Garnett
    21:26 (3 hours ago)
    to me

Hi and thanks for the email. As you can see in the pictures attached, the lorry is in excellent condition, no known problems, HPI clear, service history, mot and tax. I must tell you that it belonged to my grandfather who unfortunately passed away 3 months ago. The price I am looking for is £2000 (I can also have it delivered for half the price of the gas). It's located in Newburgh, Fife. Where are you based?

Thank you,
    Anne

the email address for 'Anne' is mba533@aol.com

Hope this prevents any one else being sucked in on this one

Comment

Further to my email above re: the horsebox, the ad has now been removed from gumtree. Hope no one has sent them any money.

Comment

I got exactly the same today- thankfully googled and realized its a scam.

Hi and thanks for the email. As you can see in the pictures attached, the lorry is in excellent condition, no known problems, HPI clear, service history, mot and tax. I must tell you that it belonged to my grandfather who unfortunately passed away 3 months ago. The price I am looking for is £2000 (I can also have it delivered for half the price of the gas). It's located in Newburgh, Fife. Where are you based?

Thank you,
        Anne

Comment

If either of you managed to get the "invoice" with bank details then please pass these on to me asap .

That way I can get it closed down and hopefully save more people less savvy than yourselves.
          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Just got this today from an advert in gumtree. The van is advertised not far from London but they say the van is in Dundee, is this a scam?

Currently in Dundee, Scotland I am offering free delivery. I will agree for a 5-7 days of full inspection period ( after the date you receive the van ). This means that you have 7 days to inspect the van for any damages and decide if you want to keep it or not!
            Because I will sign eBay's return policy, your money will be insured by them and you will have the option to reject the deal, only if we go through PayPal as well. If this is the case, you will receive a full refund (money back) from PayPal and I will have to take the van back on my cost!
            You can read more about it following the link below:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/con...rn-policy.html

Let me know if the above return policy is acceptable and if you want to purchase the van please confirm your PayPal email for further instructions.

Amy

- - - Updated - - -

Just got this today from an advert in gumtree. The van is advertised not far from London but they say the van is in Dundee, is this a scam?

Currently in Dundee, Scotland I am offering free delivery. I will agree for a 5-7 days of full inspection period ( after the date you receive the van ). This means that you have 7 days to inspect the van for any damages and decide if you want to keep it or not!
            Because I will sign eBay's return policy, your money will be insured by them and you will have the option to reject the deal, only if we go through PayPal as well. If this is the case, you will receive a full refund (money back) from PayPal and I will have to take the van back on my cost!
            You can read more about it following the link below:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/con...rn-policy.html

Let me know if the above return policy is acceptable and if you want to purchase the van please confirm your PayPal email for further instructions.

Amy

Comment

Yes it is a scam.

Have a look http://www.scamaccounts.co.uk/ and a read about int his forum.

If you can get play along a little and get the bank details of him that would be really useful. Once you get the bank details just say sorry I've changed my mind and ignore anything further.

Also the email address the message came from and phone number they give you to call.

Just post them on here. Helps warn others and we can put in motion getting the account closed.

Also do you have a link to the advert on gumtree, have you reported it yet? If not do, and give us a link too.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I think the page has been taken down. I reported it, but I will play along with them and see what I can get and post on here....

2006 Transporter T5 1.9 TDI White
                https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...ite/1156872489

Comment

As soon as you get the bank details please email them to me directly with a copy of the "invoice", I can then get the account closed down
                  Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

Tools, seems I can't PM you. Just got email from "Amy" to confirm my PayPal email address. What should I do?

- - - Updated - - -

This the photo bucket address for camper they were selling

http://s1039.photobucket.com/user/VO...tml?sort=3&o=7

Comment

Sorry forgot to include my email address scams@legalbeagles.info

PM'img you about the Paypal question

Comment

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime...-a3189876.html

A crime gang suspected of being part of a multi-million-pound eBay scam dubbed the “Lucy network” has been jailed for a total of 18 years.
                        The gang, described in court as the London cell of a nationwide crime operation, raked in more than £450,000 by offering non-existent cars and motor homes for sale on internet auction sites. Detectives believe they are a part of a larger organised crime gang dubbed the “Lucy network” because the conmen use the girl’s name in emails to potential victims.
                        Thousands of people across the country fell victim to the fraud in which people were offered cars, motor homes and trailers on sites such as eBay and Gumtree, often for around £200 or £300 less than the going rate.
                        The auction site pages were linked to fraudulent bank accounts set up by hundreds of Romanians they ferried into the country for a few days on cheap flights. The gang’s ringleader, Madalin Popescu, 34, would collect the “cash mules” from Luton airport and chauffeur them around high street banks across London where a co-conspirator would act as translator to open the accounts.
                        Police believe the gang of four men and a woman were sometimes opening 10 to 15 bank accounts a day across the capital. They identified 130 victims who lost £450,000 in fake transactions from June 2014 to September 2015.
                        One retired couple from Bognor Regis in West Sussex used £4,500 of their retirement savings to purchase a camper van online, believing that they were protected by PayPal. When the vehicle did not arrive and they could not contact the “seller”, they realised they had been defrauded.
                        Victims were lured in by hard-luck stories often from a woman called Lucy saying she had broken up with her boyfriend and had to sell her car quickly. Police say the City of London’s Action Fraud reporting centre has thousands of emails from conmen that include the name Lucy.
                        Immediately after buyers transferred money into the accounts, the funds were withdrawn and all lines of communication cut, leaving people thousands of pounds out of pocket.
                        Popescu, of Watford, Roxanna Trusca, 28, Florin Drechichi, 25, Mihai Cercerlaru, 35, and Christian Calistrache, 31, all pleaded guilty to a conspiracy to money launder charge. Popescu was jailed for five years and his co-conspirators, all from north-west London, were jailed for between two years six months and three years eight months.
                        City of London police say there have been more than 45,000 reports of online auction fraud in the past year, with more than 6,300 reports made by victims in the London area.
                        Detective Inspector Matt Mountford, the head of the London Regional Fraud Team, said: “This criminal gang committed online auction fraud on an industrial scale and then used fake identities and money mules shipped in from abroad to launder hundreds of thousands of pounds they had stolen from hundreds of innocent people.
                        “The fact this sophisticated, highly professional fraud has been unravelled and the architects brought to justice is thanks to a forensic investigation by the London Regional Fraud Team, which continues to disrupt organised criminality impacting the London region.”

Comment

amy@eeglobal.co.uk This is Amy's email address if it's any use? I've been trying to get details from her but trail gone cold. But will be looking for these scammers and keep you guys posted.

Comment

Hi [MENTION=7]Tools[/MENTION],

I have just read your post about the Lucy network being convicted. I was a victim of this gang on the 17th July 2015, as they have been caught is there now any chance of getting our money back as I would presume they have had any proceeds of crime confiscated.

Thanks
                            Last edited by Amethyst; 2nd March 2016, 15:08:PM.

Comment

Hi Scooby, my honest answer is I do not know.

I would suggest you contact Action Fraud or
                              Detective Inspector Matt Mountford, the head of the London Regional Fraud Team.

In the meantime I'll try speak with my contacts at Scotland Yard's FALCON team and see if they can give any pointers.

From the original raid I remember being told they found £30,000 in cash and a BMW.
                              Last edited by Tools; 2nd March 2016, 23:22:PM.

Comment

Hi tools,
                                Thank you for your reply and the great work you do.
                                I have emailed the city of London police today via their website.
                                I will try your suggestions also, if you are able to find out any information that would be great. I have given you the details of how they scammed me earlier in this thread and also have pm'd you on a couple of occasions.
                                Thanks.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X