• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Trouble with facebook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ikcdab View Post

That would be good. But a complaint has been made to the police and a statement taken from the person receiving the image.
    i just wonder to what extent the police will want to investigate. I guess they could apply to fb for IP addresses and then the ISP to locate our house. Of course, I want you all to say that the police won't bother, but I also need you to be realistic and they might follow it up even though it is a one off occurance. . I have no previous experience and we are worried.
    It is a possibility that the Police won't follow it up as time and resources aren't commodities they have an in abundance. However it is better to be prepared for the worst and anything better is a bonus.

If it were me I'd be getting my son to come clean to A that he cat fished them and it was him they sent a photo too. Then he needs to explain he sent it to someone else and thought the whole thing would be a funny joke. Dependant on mates attitude s/he might call him a few names and then laugh it off or he could be really offended. Either way they have the right to know.

As for B the same, come clean and apologise to try to make amends. If they are okay about it then they'll most likely withdraw the complaint to old bill. And even if they're not they might still because they don't want their mate to get in trouble, remember the complainant doesn't know who this person is and it's easy to get someone you don't know or care about in trouble.

If they don't withdraw it, well you save the police a whole heap of effort by coming forward to explain it was a joke and it will be looked on more favourably by coming forward along with showing remorse having realised it was a stupid thing to do.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

I suspect it would be pretty simple for the Police to obtain the IP details off the account from FB, FB do disclose for Police investigation and it does state so in their terms - they would then have to apply through court for the ISP to disclose the owner/address of that IP address. Also there will be a linked email address to the fake account he set up which could be looked into. So it will take a long while IF the police do decide to follow it up. Again depends what the complaint is and the context in which the picture was sent. There's really no way to know how likely they are to take it forward or how long it would take I'm afraid. It does seem that an offence has been committed though, so if the complaint does go forward and the police are inclined to take it seriously then there could well be criminal charges down the line.

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you for the replies. Any further comments would be appreciated.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X