• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.

Harassment Advice

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Harassment Advice

    My boyfriend at the time was cheating on me with an underage girl. Of course, naturally, I texted the girl to back off and that he has a girlfriend which she knew. She said she wasn't interested in him but I've caught her multiple times showing interest in him through texting. Again, I've texted her multiple times to stop texting my boyfriend.
    About a couple months down the road, my boyfriend broke up with me to be with this underage girl. I've texted her multiple times after that to realize that she's stopped replying. I then later found out that she was keeping all my texts as "evidence" for harassment; so I've stopped texting her since.
    Let's say a few months down the road, I kept getting weird text messages from an anonymous person. I kept thinking it was her but it didn't bother me much. I would just not reply and delete the text. A few days later, I get a phone call from the police about a warning for harassment, or texting the girl. I told the police it wasn't me but all the police said that there wasn't any legal actions involved and that it was just a warning.
    Well now almost a year later, I get another call from the police saying they want to talk to me about some recent harassment that the girl has been getting. I am nervous and will be meeting the police for further investigation. Can anyone tell me what is going to happen? Will I go to jail or have harassment on my record?? I am worried and this is causing me stress as I can't perform correctly at work.
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Re: Harassment Advice

    Well, it could be a very serious issue if you just ignore it, i advice you to meet the police and tell them the whole situation and try to register your number on your own name, if you avoid them or delete the text messages then you would have no evidence.


    • #3
      Re: Harassment Advice

      If you are going to see the police for any type of interview be accompanied by a solicitor.
      If you don't have one, insist on the duty solicitor being present.
      Don't let the police "persuade" you it is not necessary


      • #4
        Re: Harassment Advice

        When the police telephoned you to warn you, did they send you and/or ask you to sign any sort of form or warning?

        It may be that the Police are wanting to talk to you to issue this to you formally as opposed to the informal one they gave you over the telephone. If the complainant then makes a further complaint to them, it moves on to being interviewed under caution. At this point they are conducting an investigation, the answers you give will form consideration for you being charged with a criminal offence and there are very serious consequences.

        If you have already had this warning and they are asking you to go to the Police station then as [MENTION=39710]des8[/MENTION] says you want a solicitor present in the interview. If they are inviting you in and you haven't been text messaging her for over a year I would advise obtaining your itemised telephone bills right back to the last time you text messaged her in preparation. If you send a message even while hiding your caller ID, the number you sent it to still appears on your phone bill and therefore, if her number is not on your phone bill for over a year then you aren't harassing her.

        If you are not on contract, call your network and see if they could provide you with the information for that period of your text messages.
        My posts on this forum are offered based on my experience dealing with a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training and if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact the CAB. If you follow anything I write on this forum you do so at your own risk and I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other out comes.



        No announcement yet.

        upgrade to vip

        Want exclusive access to forums, more privacy and a live chat box? Upgrade to become a bigger part of our community.

        only £15/yr

        Offers available. No subscription traps.

        sign up now

        Resolver is a free automated complaints system that can help with all kinds of consumer complaints - including missold PPI and Package Bank Accounts.

        make a complaint

        Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

        Find a Law Firm