• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bruised Eye Workplace Claim Offer of Settlement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or shall I just refuse and await the next? Always been told never accept offer 1

Comment

Hi again,
      It is a good idea to consider all options when offers are received. However, if the offer is sensible and in the right ballpark, which it appears to be, it is not always the best option to refuse to accept it. Offers can be withdrawn altogether, after 21 days.
      It may be worth trying to bump them up a little even £100 but if they refuse, I would seriously consider the offer on the table.
      I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

Wasn't aware from your first post that you had already told the other side you would accept £1300, so no, you can't now exceed that figure.
        If you want to argue for an increase you might find this helpful, but tread carefully.because you would not want that offer withdrawn for the sake of a possible extra £100 or so!
        According to the Office for National Statistics composite price index, the pound experienced an average inflation rate of 2.71% per year. Prices in 2017 are 20.6% higher than prices in 2010.

In other words, £1,241 in the year 2010 is equivalent in purchasing power to £1,496.71 in 2017, a difference of £255.71 over 7 years.

Comment

Yes, sorry. I didn't think it was important.

Just replied based on your advice. I think it's fair to go for what it was valued at now. As I say, I am prepared to see it through, and hopefully they would rather put up another £300 to shut me up.

"Okay, I understand. If you value the claim at £1300, then that is the figure that it will take for me to settle, no less. It's not a huge figure. I'm prepared to highlight their failings in court and risk losing it, rather than take their first offer of £1000 to 'go away'. It's really no bother for me.

£1241 in the year 2010 is equivalent in purchasing power to £1496 in 2017 = + 20%

£1088 in the year 2005 is equivalent to £1528 in 2017 = + 40%

So taking into account what you said about the other cases, and their slightly more serious nature, I'll meet at + 30% = £1300"

Comment

I would suggest you contact your solicitor and withdraw your letter.
            Peridot and I were suggesting that if you were unhappy with the result you could try and negotiate an increase.
            Giving an ultimatum is not negotiation.
            The problem is that if you go to court,[ either because a) they they withdraw their offer following your rejection, or b) if you do not accept their offer]
            and you are award £1000 or less (or even a smidgin more!)you could find yourself in an adverse costs position where you PERSONALLY have to pay their legal costs incurred from the time of rejection

Comment

My above letter, in post 19?

They won’t want court. The place is a shambles for one of the biggest companies in the UK.

Comment

AS this would be a claim for an employer's liability, it is probably/possibly being dealt with through their insurers as there are no excesses on Employers liability Policies.
                Don't be so sure about the insurers rolling over, some take quite a tough line and don't automatically increase their first offer.
                They have been in the business for years and have access to all sorts of records.(as does your solicitor)
                I once worked in that field, so whilst try negotiating I would advise against "I'll see you in court" attitude as it can backfire.
                People don't like being threatened and react against it

Comment

Okay, I should have negotiated without the ultimatum. A valuable lesson as I go through the other claims I have ongoing.

A colleague was recently recommended to accept 1200, but received 1600 after refusing the first. A different case, but similar to another of mine actually.

Comment

“The figures provided with the cases below had already been increased to the relevant RPI.

The case of K v Ethel Austin Ltd (2010) was originally awarded £1,000 and the case of Roberts v Wrexham City Council (2005) was originally awarded £750.

I will speak to the other side regarding their offer and come back to you. “

Comment

**UPDATE**

Had a call from the solicitor. It was an ‘on the spot’ phone call.

“The other side are prepared to offer £1300, they want it wrapped up today, yes, or no?”

I said yes, didn’t have another option if I’d agreed to £1300 as the value. So I take that as a lesson for the others I guess.

Thank you for your help. I will upgrade as a thank you to the forum. I may post the others ongoing in the private rooms.

Comment

Thanks for the update and well done

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X