• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Teeth knocked out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teeth knocked out

I was on a night out for my wife's cousins birthday when his best friend took a dislike to my wife and i and started getting aggressive. I took us away from the situation but saw him again about an hour later when he started verbally abusing my wife again, I tried to get her away and he punched me and snapped my two front teeth which were crowned. I've been to the police and a its on cctv and shows I did nothing and i have two witnesses who have since come forward.
    My question is what's the best way to get compensation as I need my teeth. I've been to dentist and its gonna be £6000 for two implants.

Are the Police taking action?

Comment

Yes but the officer said they had nothing to do with issuing compensation

Comment

If the person who assaulted you is convicted the courts may order him to pay you compensation.
        You could also make a claim against the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/criminal...sation-a-guide)
        (but this can be slow and uncertain)
        If you think he has the assets you could make a civil claim against him.

Have your teeth been broken so badly that implants are the only way forward? If it is possible for them to be recrowned you would be expected to take that way forward as a way to minimise your loss.

Comment

I don't know him well enough to say he definitely has assets and yes my teeth snapped well into my gums and one split upwards. There is no tooth left below the gum line.
          Is no win no fee a viable option?

Comment

I expect you could find a solicitor or claims company for a "NO win no Fee" or more properly a Conditional Fee Agreement.
            Not all firms are the same so you need to look around & possibly discuss the matter with your solicitor.
            If you win your costs are paid for out of the compensation awarded, normally an agreed percentage

Comment

I've got stephensons solicitors from manchester on my side. On a no win no fee basis.

Comment

Just a quick question. If I go with the no win no fee and I say get awarded £5000 will that I any way affect what happens in court if it gets that far. And would the court award more do you think. I'm unsure I'm doing the right thing.

Comment

Are the Solicitors advising you initiate court action against the perpetrator?
                  If the culprit makes an offer which you accept the matter will not reach court.
                  If he makes an offer which you decline, and you initiate court action which results in an award lower than the offer there could be costs implications.
                  Check the position with the solicitors.

The current guidelines for loss of or serious damage to two front teeth is: £3,200 to £5,600
                  This is only a guide!

Comment

The solicitors are going for compensation through the criminal Injuries compensation association. They have sent me the forms to sign if i want to go ahead or cancel.

Comment

If it goes to court would I be required to have a solicitor to gain compensation. I have no clue how this works.

Comment

There is no point in going through the stress of the court process if you are making a claim through the compensation scheme.
                        Quite possibly the perpetrator would not have the funds to pay any compensation anyway, and any award made by CICA would be reduced by the amount
                        Paragraph 48(1) of the 2008 Scheme states:-

“An award payable under this Scheme will be reduced by the full value of any payment in respect of the same injury which the applicant has received or to which he or she has any present or future entitlement, as a result of...

(c) any order by a civil court whether in the United Kingdom or elsewhere for the payment of damages;...

(e) a settlement of a claim for damages, compensation or both on terms providing for the payment of money."
                        awarded in the civil court

Also a claim in the civil court could (and sometimes does!) generate a smaller compensatory amount than awarded by the CICA.

Comment

Originally posted by Picko77 View Post
                          If it goes to court would I be required to have a solicitor to gain compensation. I have no clue how this works.
                          I would recommend it if you have no experience, and for personal injury they might even recommend a barrister.

Comment

I'll be honest I just want my teeth fixing ASAP not having two front teeth is getting me depressed, I dont wanna go out anymore as I hate people seeing me without teeth.
                            I think i will let the solicitors deal with iti

Comment

Hmm..ASAP!
                              You might want to get a bank loan to get them fixed whilst awaiting a payout.
                              Note that the CICA admit that a claim could take up to 12 months before payment is made, and I know of at least one claim that is three years old and still not paid!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X