• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination question about driving

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary Termination question about driving

Can anyone help please. I've just read the post by [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION] on VT. Was wondering, can I drive the vehicle as normal between sending the initial letter to the finance company and waiting for their acknowledgement letter? Or will I have terminated my right to drive the vehicle as soon as I send that letter?
    This is the first time using this forum so I hope I've posted this in the right place and apologies if I haven't!
    Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Voluntary Termination question about driving

Hi Rennot,

It depends what it says in the contract under the termination clause. But I presume in most cases people still use the car until collected or until they drive it to a auction site chosen by the finance company. I've not known any finance company to take legal action for using the car after giving notice to terminate.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION] ! I can't find anything that doesn't say I can't drive it in the meantime. I'm using your templates and would like to say thank you. This would have been pretty complicated for me without them!

Comment

Generally there is no issue about it but you have to take the risks in that you could potentially cause further damage or more wear and tear on the vehicle which could possibly take it beyond the state of reasonable condition depending on how old the car is.

If you get stuck give me a shout
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

No problem that makes sense. Actually I have one more thing. I leave the country in 14 days... as long as I respond to all of their letters (a family member will email them to me and print off and post any of my letters that I reply with) and I contact dvla etc (and my family will be available when they pick the car up) then is it ok to not be there in person ? As I wouldn't be signing anything else would I?

Comment

No you don't need to be there in person someone else can be there on your behalf. The reason why I suggest not to sign anything is because they are worded in a way to say you accept the damage reported and are liable to pay for it without question. Even if the agent does not record any damage, the letter might say it is subject to a second inspection and thats usually when the damage gets picked up.

I think its unreasonable to expect be charged on a second inspection but its safer to decline signing anything than go round the houses and argue otherwise at a later date. You should be even more cautious if you have someone there on your behalf and you should give them explicit instructions not to sign anything.

Agents sometimes say they can't take away the car unless something is signed but that is untrue, if they insist on that then whoever is acting on your behalf can say okay, you'll put the car on a public road without tax and insurance as its no longer your responsibility - they generally change their mind and take away the car at that point.
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Great! That's solved my worries! Thank you so much I appreciate the time you've taken to answer my questions! Have a good day

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X