• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sale of goods act.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sale of goods act.

I've had help to type up a P.O.C for moneyclaim.gov the only problem is that its too long. seems daft that such a crucial part of the claim is restricted to x amount of characters.

Anyway would someone be good enough to look over this POC and critic it please. Where and shoul I add costs like Telephoning , travel costs and car hire. (hired a tiny car for 5 days to carry out some essencial tasks)

1. The defendant is a commercial trader
    offering vehicles for sale on a trade basis.
    2. On 06/02/10 the claimant puchased a
    Renault Espace Authentique Registration
    Number XXX XXX from the defendant and paid
    £XX.XX deposit followed by the balance of
    £XXXX.00 on the 9/02/10 Both these payments
    were made by the claimants Nat West Debit
    Card.
    3. The car was sold with the following
    express warranties.
    That the vehicle would be checked over by
    the defendant for safety and mechanical
    defects.
    And the following implied warranties:
    a. it would be fit for purpose;
    b. it would be of merchantable quality
    c. it would be safe to drive
    d. it had no mechanical or other defects
    which would affect the ability to use the
    car comfortably and safely.
    4. In breach of contract and the warranties
    set out above and confirmed by the
    defendants own mechanic, the car has the
    following signficant defects: Faulty coil,
    Broken gearbox mountings and inoperable
    central locking.
    5. On 10/02/2010 the claimant returned the
    car to the defendant's garage and rejected
    the same, requesting a refund.
    6. On 22/02/2010 the claimant - on the
    advice of local Trading Standards - sent to
    the defendant a 7 day notice [attached
    herewith]
    7. Despite the said notice and the
    rejection of the car, the defendant has
    failed or refused to refund the purchase
    price and/or contact the claimant at all,
    despite numerous attempts to contact the
    defendant by phone and letter.
    8. As a result of the matters above there
    has been a total failure of consideration
    and/or a breach of contract entitling the
    claimant to the refund of the puchase price
    together with interest at the prevailing
    county court rate.

The facts in this statement of case are
    true

Comment

The particulars are fine and costs can be detailed later and a single figure for "costs" may be added at this stage. This should include the cost of the hire car and any other costs and expenses that you have incurred, but as above, can be particularised at a later stage.

Thus your claim is for the total of the sum you paid for the car, plus all other costs and expenses related to the breach of contract.

Given that the garage have ignored you thus far they may also ignore a claim which is why you really should pursue NatWest under the Visa Debit Chargeback scheme, in addition to issuing your claim since as far as bankers have fallen (and NatWest have fallen further than most) they still have some way to go before they reach the level of "car dealer."

Finally, I would not bother with MoneyClaim Online and use a proper claim form, filed at your local County Court, unless this is impossible simply because you can write as much as you wish and for the cost difference, which I believe as about £5, it is important to particularise your claim fully.

Comment

Thankyou very much for that I really appreciate the advice

Comment

Ok have taken Garage to court and tomorrow is the final day the Garage have to respond to the court. They have not done this yet.

What happens tomorrow if they do not reply...I ask for judgement to be made? What does that entail, what can I expect .

Many thanks in advance.

Comment

Should the garage fail to respond to the claim, you will be awarded Judgment in Default and this is not the same as a judgment obtained in court at a hearing. It simply means that one or other party failed to comply with part of the procedure.

Send them this reminder first, otherwise you may find yourself back at square one if you attempt to obtain an Warrant of Execution.

Dear

Claim Number XXX00000

You have not filed a defence for claim number XXX00000 at (Town) County Court, and the time to file a defence has now passed and judgement in default has been/will be granted. I am writing to give you one final opportunity to make full payment of £000.00. If I have not received payment in full by 4pm (date - 7 days from date of this letter) I will file for Judgment in Default/apply for a warrant of execution.

Yours sincerely

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X