• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Question on cambelt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on cambelt

As briefly as I can I will describe my query.

My son bought a fiat stilo from a garage. It had done 45000 miles . As a precaution we asked as a condition of sale that the cambelt be changed. ( we did not request tensioner etc to be changed as we were not that savvy)
    the garage gave us what they said was the old belt ( not sure if we still have this)

Since then the car has done 30000 miles and been serviced and now the cambelt has gone - £1000 plus damage. The tensioner was fine - just the belt worn.

I have suspicions that the belt was not changed by the garage and perhaps this is the original belt - but know I have a fight on my hands finding this out as a lot of the writing is not clear on the belt.

But if I can prove it is the original would we be able to sue the garage for the subsequent damage?
    "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Re: Question on cambelt

I would take the belt to a Fiat dealer and ask if they can identify it as the original, factory fitted cambelt.

Comment

I think standard cambelt change intervals range from 30,000 - 50,000 miles if that helps. (I could be entirely wrong tho lol)
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

So I can advise a little more accurately can you tell me the following please Scoobs

Fiat Stilo..... got that
        Year? ............
        Engine size?..........
        Petrol or Diesel?...........
        Was the car bought from a Fiat Dealer?............
        Who has looked at the car since it failed and diagnosed/quoted you?

Some of the Stilo range do not need replacing until 72,000 miles although as I remember this may also have recently been lowered to 60,000.

You say the tensioners were ok, what was the condition of the water pump?
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

petrol
          bought from private garage and it had done 45000 miles then
          It has just had all the work done by a private garage who have given us the old belt back

Water pump and tensioner were fine.

The make on the belt I can see is powergrip.
          "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

Comment

Powergrip is an aftermarket seller of cambelts so it has been replaced at some point. If no failure of the tensioners/waterpump etc then yes the fault lays purely with the belt or its fitting.

Your argument now should be with the garage that fitted it originally. You say it was only 30,000 miles ago, what period of time has passed since then?

I will check the exact replacement interval for you and get back to you.
            Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

I have just seen on a fiat forum that the stilo recommendation has changed to 35000 miles and he is probably not far off that since we had it changed. How are individuals supposed to know that?
              If it is not the original we dont stand a chance because we were not aware about asking for the tensioner and water pump to be changed at the same time. So even though we know they did not cause the problem we can not prove it. Also it has not been serviced at a fiat dealer.

The fact that it might be the original belt was our only hope.

I do feel for him because he thought he was being extra cautious and careful by asking for the change.

An expensive lesson to learn.

Comment

All may not be lost yet, just let me find out some further info.

Comment

http://www.turinmotors.co.uk/cambelts.htm

Comment

That is an independent garage and the mileage is a "recommendation". I work next to a Fiat dealership and know a few of the fitters so will ask them tomorrow.

Comment

OK more info for you.

Fiat UK recommend replacing the timing belt at 72,000 miles or 5 years, whichever is the soonest. However, at 36,000 mile intervals, as part of a 36,000 mile service, Fiat would inspect the belt for signs of deterioration or damage.

The cost of the cambelt, tensioner and guide as a kit would be £129.85 inc vat, that is supply only, not fitted.

So, the cambelt they fitted, you would reasonably expect to be of the same durability as the Fiat one. Therefore you would also expect the belt to have lasted a further 72,000 miles or 5 years. The garage that serviced the vehicle would have had no cause to periodically inspect the cambelt if they assumed the belt had only done 30,000 miles since it was fitted.

This means that your claim should be based on the fact that the belt should have lasted 72,000 miles / 5 years unless it had been noticed during a 36,000 mile service that there was a problem.

Hopefully you can now approach the garage armed with the proper info to negotiate with them. I must point out however, that they may try to fob you off by saying your claim is with the belt manufacturer, Powergrip, it is not. That would be down to them to claim their losses, your losses are claimable from the garage that supplied and fitted the cambelt.

Comment

Thanks ,I am going to find the original paperwork for the purchase`and go from there.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X