• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

fuel additive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel additive

My daughter has just purchased a Yaris and after 2-3 days the MIL light came on

We have narrowed the fault to - catalytic converter /sensors/filter

one bit of advice we had was to try the fuel additive fortex which apparently can clean the sensors etc.

So I have purchased some but when it arrived it says for trade sales only.

Now I am worried about using it.

We are having a bad time with cars at the moment and I dont wan to risk doing anything that might damage the car.

Any advice?
    "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Re: fuel additive

Where did she purchase the car from and how did she pay for it?

Comment

In addition to what Cet has asked, can I ask how you came to this conclusion?
      We have narrowed the fault to - catalytic converter /sensors/filter
      Also, who recommended fortex?

What engine is it, petrol or diesel and what size?

Is the light on constantly or only under certain conditions, such as under load (climbing a hill)

As much info as possible would help scoobs.

And btw, what is a MIL light? Isn't that a warning against mother in laws?
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Malfunction indicator light

its FORTE additive ( my error) recommended on a toyota forum

Bought privately - it was fine on two test drives - fine on drive back and fine for two more days .

It is a toyota yaris 1.5 sport petrol

Because she is now skint we purchased one of those readers that plugs into car and tells you the fault code that you can then check the possible causes.

The seller did say the O2 sensor had been replaced about 12 months ago.

We are not intending to do anything else ourselves except maybe try the additive - but my main worry is it says trade only

Its not the engine flush only the additive.

And that is the end of my knowledge!
        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
        oh and the light is on all the time

the car is running absolutely fine.

UNLIKE MY SONS - Which has just had the cambelt go! another story all together!
        Last edited by scoobydoo; 14th November 2009, 19:15:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by scoobydoo View Post
          Because she is now skint we purchased one of those readers that plugs into car and tells you the fault code that you can then check the possible causes.

The seller did say the O2 sensor had been replaced about 12 months ago.

UNLIKE MY SONS - Which has just had the cambelt go! another story all together!
          ouch!!!!-- What car was that one? I smell new valves a-coming.

Do you have the ability on the code reader to see if the faults are active or inactive? Also, are you able to reset the faults with your reader.

Actually, easier to show me which reader it is.
          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

I will ask MOH

reference my sons car - nightmare - when he bought it we asked for cam belt to be changed to be on safe side - only done about 25000 miles since and it has gone- all 16 valves and £1000 plus. He needs car for work and is also skint. We are now investigating if thr garage did actually replace it.If they did not the gloves are on.

Comment

May have been a new belt, but depending on what engine, may have been due to failure of the tensioner or sometimes the water pump. What car/year/engine is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
                May have been a new belt, but depending on what engine, may have been due to failure of the tensioner or sometimes the water pump. What car/year/engine is it?

I will start a new thread on that when we get the part back as I think the only come back we have is if the belt is the original one from the car. I am hoping there will be some ID on it to find that out.Tensioner was ok apparently.It was just the belt that failed.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X