• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

using mobile phone whilst driving

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: using mobile phone whilst driving

Originally posted by Tools View Post
    Well done Hector.
    ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS attend court.
    there is a saying in French .... 'the absent are always in the wrong' being the best translation.

However.....having been to county court a couple of months ago in a non-to-great area I have to say there were a few people at the court who could have done themselves a favour if unable to clean themselves up and use acceptable language in the waiting area not attending!

Comment

Originally posted by alsagerman View Post
      Personally, and this is my own opinion, I would fine anyone caught using their mobile whilst driving the equivalent RETAIL cost of the phone. The rules are simple to understand, we all know them and using a mobile whilst driving is a blatant disregard of those rules.

On the different subject of the fine; if a fixed penalty notice is the normal fine, to adjust that on the whim of an individual is clearly out of order.
      that would be a good proposal @alsagerman but retail cost of phones are not the same..

Comment

As someone who very nearly lost her mum, husband and 9 week old son to someone on a phone (idiot was more interested in his phone chat than the fact someone was driving past his parked car, pulled out and hit the passenger side back door (which my baby son's carseat was beside) ramming him across the car, and spinning the car so Hubby was sideways across the road with a lovely big 18 wheel Eddie Stobart lorry hurtling towards him, I think the fine was too low... I have also heard that if the magistrate decides the offence is severe enough (like nearly killing someone) they can increase it, so your very very lucky they dropped it!

BB, the most blatent disregard or human life was on the M4 service station in Membury. The cops pulled a left hand drive 40 foot waggon (driver blissfully unaware he was in trouble phone to ear yabbering away), the driver fell out the cab and rolled on the the grass, got up laughing like a baby on a pnuematic drill, stumbled to the benches, regaling his telephone audience with his tale,crying laughing all the time.
        The police went in to the cab, came out with decidedly green faces gasping for air, and brought out a plastic bag with a greeny/brown substance in it, a half smoked reefer and a half drunk bottle of Polish Vodka! to which laughing boy suddenly announced "Thirsty?? Have a drink!!!"

Comment

There have been cases where a driver on a mobile phone has killed someone this should have been murder and using a phone whilst drivimg should be viewed as serious a car not being controlled properley is as dangerous as a gun how would those using a phone feel if someone came at them with a gun?
          i know this is going to extremes but think about it?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
            There have been cases where a driver on a mobile phone has killed someone this should have been murder and using a phone whilst drivimg should be viewed as serious a car not being controlled properley is as dangerous as a gun how would those using a phone feel if someone came at them with a gun?
            In our case, we had me recovering from having a baby and having my hip popped back in to place, hubby panicking cos his wife baby and mother in law were in danger, and mum rammed in to the drivers side passenger door (if that makes sense) with a car seat near enough on her lap and No 2 son screaming it to burst (thankfully) and the moron on the mobile got out, stormed up to him and said DIDNT YOU SEE ME????

I think if he hadn't had me leaning heavily on his arm scrabbling for walking sticks there would have been a bareknuckle fist fight.
            Police arrived, and kindly Stobart driver helped my mum out and carried by now hysterical infant to the warmth and safety of his cab, and the drivers statement was, he was late for an urgent meeting, so was giving his presentation on the phone, he pulled out and the idiot in the green car, that would be Mr R (3/4 past him as he pulled out) drove in to him!

It doesnt take a lot of thinking about, if you are in a car with a passenger, show the passenger how to answer the phone, or teach a child to say "Mam/Dad is driving at the moment, please may they ring you back? whos calling please?"
            If you are on your own, hit the red button you use to disconnect the phone and it turns off! change your answerphone message to I am either working or driving, Please leave a message and I will call back when I'm finished, or at my destination.

If they matter they will understand.

Comment

Originally posted by puffrose View Post
              As someone who very nearly lost her mum, husband and 9 week old son to someone on a phone (idiot was more interested in his phone chat than the fact someone was driving past his parked car, pulled out and hit the passenger side back door (which my baby son's carseat was beside) ramming him across the car, and spinning the car so Hubby was sideways across the road with a lovely big 18 wheel Eddie Stobart lorry hurtling towards him, I think the fine was too low... I have also heard that if the magistrate decides the offence is severe enough (like nearly killing someone) they can increase it, so your very very lucky they dropped it!

BB, the most blatent disregard or human life was on the M4 service station in Membury. The cops pulled a left hand drive 40 foot waggon (driver blissfully unaware he was in trouble phone to ear yabbering away), the driver fell out the cab and rolled on the the grass, got up laughing like a baby on a pnuematic drill, stumbled to the benches, regaling his telephone audience with his tale,crying laughing all the time.
              The police went in to the cab, came out with decidedly green faces gasping for air, and brought out a plastic bag with a greeny/brown substance in it, a half smoked reefer and a half drunk bottle of Polish Vodka! to which laughing boy suddenly announced "Thirsty?? Have a drink!!!"
              Was Laughing Boy arrested, Puff? Because he damned well deserved to be!
              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                That sounds like Causing Death by Dangerous Driving. There is a hefty custodial penalty for this offence.
                Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X