• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Innocent car purchasers rights with finance company Different scenario

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Innocent car purchasers rights with finance company Different scenario

Hi. Seems I am not alone getting trouble with the Avelo/Credit 4 cars scam - though my situation is very different...
    I swapped my 4x4car with another man for his car, at his home and even had a coffee, then 2+ years later found it it was on finance to C4C who had gone bust but then bought by same Director at Avelo. They tried to get car back through Burlingtons who took all my evidence including Innocent Purchaser decaration and said everything looks good for you, and it is VERY strong evidence that I was conned, back to Avelo who then fired them and changed to the BIG villans Sh00smiths who then did the opposite. Even went to cops with a legally signed exchange agreement between us station it was HP/debt clear and his to sell - they said bugger off not our problem it's a civil fraud. I only got a rough figure that the car was financed for about £3500 but the buyer never made a single payment and swapped it with me before the 1st payment was due. I did a HP txt check when I bought the car and it was finance clear but over a year after that I changed phones/number so that is long gone now.
    Now I've cleared up some of the legal issues ie I am in Scotland so they cannot legally reposess without more cost and a Court Order. However the car was a total con being valued at £2000 for which i then spent another £2300 to keep running as it was a dog the very next day only to find out, I only checked online after the 1st letter arrived as I have a fully stamped service history book with the car!!!, it had been clocked/shaved by 175,000 miles!!!! to a mere 117,000. So basically the car is worth nothing.
    Questions are:
    Can I sell it to recover my costs?
    Can I scrap it or will I then be liable to pay these &^*%$'s
    What happens in event I have accident - will the payout got to Avelo or me?
    The car is my only transport and on it's last legs so I am wary of spending any more on it and last thing I need is a lump of scrap in my yard I cannot get rid of.
    I dont want to approach Avelo again - check them out online with their legal buddies to see how nasty they are.
    Can anyone advise?
    Last edited by ScrewedAvelo; 19th July 2018, 14:17:PM. Reason: add info
    Tags: None

What's the current situation - are shoosmiths attempting to repossess the car or sue you for the payments ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      What's the current situation - are shoosmiths attempting to repossess the car or sue you for the payments ?
      Stalemate - not heard for 1 year. Obviously dont want to spend money pursuing it and as far as I know thay have not gone after the dodgy seller either. Costs and proceedures in Scotland very different to England.
      Situation stands that I informed them I will remove every single part I fiited to car - wheels/tryes/turbo/cylinder head/battery/electronics/injectors/filters/brakes/calipers/hubs etc etc that I have fiited to this lump of scrap.
      At most car is currently worth £2-400 before I remove those parts.

Comment

Anyone got any sound advise?

Comment

The Hire Purchase Act 1964 (as amended) gives special rights to customers buying cars subject to Hire Purchase and Conditional Sale agreements.

Under a Hire Purchase/Conditional Sale agreement the finance company generally own the car until the end of the finance agreement. If a person has the vehicle on such a finance agreement then sells it to a private and innocent purchaser the purchaser gets good title to the car. The only recourse the finance company has is against the person who had it on finance or any of the trade buyers/sellers in between.

The rules are very strict and the legislation is simply a protection measure for private buyers of cars, which obviously can readily be acquired on finance by someone with less than honourable intentions or increasingly selling on by someone who is in financial difficulties.

The rules are:

a) The buyer must be a private buyer. If they are a motor trader or operate a finance business then they are excluded.

b) The buyer must have no knowledge of the car being on finance.

The rights are extended by the fact that if the original customer who has it on finance sells the car to a non private buyer e.g. a motor dealer and it perhaps goes through a chain of motor dealers before finally being sold to a private and innocent purchaser then that last person will still get good title.

So too does anyone also purchasing the vehicle, even the motor dealer, after it has gone through the hands of an innocent private purchaser.

did you perhaps make a payment as well as the swap of vehicles?
          http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1964/53/section/27

test case.
          http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2013/346.html
          Last edited by Setmefree3; 21st July 2018, 14:34:PM.

Comment

Hi. Thank you for detailed reply. No money was exchanged - both vehicles being valued at roughly £2000 each. In Scotland this apparntly is legally defined as chattles/goods so reads the same as money.
            The position we are in after 4 years is that a) We cannot get the car cleared from finance by Avelo b) We cannot sell it - even though its worth next to nothing, sub £400, and owes us over £4500 todate c) We cannot scrap it d) If we are ever involved in an accident we will get nothing from the insurance as it apparantly any payout goes to the finance company e) If it breaks down permenantly we have nowhere to store it indefinetly because of all the above!
            As the test case you quote was in England does that also apply in Scotland?
            So what do we do now - can you advise?
            Last edited by ScrewedAvelo; 22nd July 2018, 15:53:PM. Reason: extra detail

Comment

jaguarsuk i have tagged in over this. Hopefully will be able to advise further, or tagg in others who have experience in dealing with these matters. :-)

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

My knowledge of Scottish Law & Procedure is very limited, so @scottishsolicitor might be better placed to advise.
                  COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Is that a web address or ?
                    Only diff in Scots Law is part about reposession through courtorder

Comment

Come on folks - surely with all this trained legal brainpower there must be someone with definitive answers out there?

Comment

Originally posted by ScrewedAvelo View Post
                        Come on folks - surely with all this trained legal brainpower there must be someone with definitive answers out there?
                        We predominantly deal with law relating England and Wales and there are not many people on here who are well versed in Scottish law. What Jaguar was doing was tagging someone named ScottishSolicitor using the @ symbol so they are notified of this thread.

Perhaps ScottishSolicitor might be able to offer something more than we can.

Whilst you might think that the only difference between English/Welsh and Scottish law is the repossession order (that may well be the case) I certainly don't feel comfortable saying anything which falls outside of my specialty.
                        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks again for reply. Having had many legal dealings through my business's I can understant your reticence. The closest I got to an answer was that Contract Law was the driving force on this subject re ownership. The other points in question are more troubling ie: The position we are in after 4 years is that a) We cannot get the car cleared from finance by Avelo but can we get it cleared by a higher authourity?b) We cannot sell it - even though its worth next to nothing, sub £400, and owes us over £4500 todate c) We cannot scrap it d) If we are ever involved in an accident we will get nothing from the insurance as it apparantly any payout goes to the finance company e) If it breaks down permenantly we have nowhere to store it indefinetly because of all the above!

Comment

Well Rob looks like this has stalled. Cant believe no substantial answer on how we stand with disposal of the vehicle though....

Comment

This might seem a bit simplistic but>>..
                              You are in possession of a vehicle on which there is outstanding finance from Avelo,
                              It probably doesn't actually matter who owns it as it has no value (your statement)
                              As it is valueless it is not worth your while to attempt to sell it as you will not recover your costs.
                              If you continue to drive it and write it off in an accident any payout will go to Avelo. So insure it third party only if you intend to keep driving it.
                              If you just want to dispose of it,you have a choice
                              i) tell Avelo to arrange collection within so many days and that if they fail you will advise DVLA that you are no longer registered keeper but Avelo are, and the vehicle can be found at xyz. (somewhere safe but public ?supermarket car park not controlled by ANPR cameras)
                              ii) tell Avelo if they won't collect their vehicle you will assume the position of an involuntary bailee and dispose of it via auction and will send them any proceeds less your costs
                              iii) just dispose of it via a scrappy (I doubt they would do an HPI check) and inform DVLA of change of keeper

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X