• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Alphera Financial Services - Excess Mileage and Damage Charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alphera Financial Services - Excess Mileage and Damage Charges

Hi, hoping to get some advice. I terminated my Alphera FS PCP contract back in March using VT. I was c 14,000 miles over my 10k per year allowance. Alphera sent me out a template letter to sign and return to exercise the VT. when I looked at the small print this had some wording to say that excess mileage charges would apply. I ignored this template and instead used the one on this site which was very helpful.

About a a month after the VT I received an invoice for excess mileage of c £700 and damage above fair wear and tear of £260. I used the template letter to respond to this disputing the charges. They have sent me a copy of my contract stating that it is very clear that excess mileage would be payable even on early termination. I checked the contract and the exact wording is

“If you terminate this agreement early the Maximum Total Mileage will apply pro rata to the reduced period of hire and your obligation to pay the Excess Mileage Charge will accrue accordingly immediately prior to termination. If the mileage exceeds the Maximum Total Mileage calculated pro rata you will therefore be have to pay the Excess Mileage Charge”.

This is clear but based on some of the threads on the forum I still think I should dispute the charges. I have escalated my case to the FOS but suspect they will rule in favour of Alphera based on the above.

I suppose my question is whether the clause above in the contract means I should just pay up or if I should stick to my guns and let it go legal?

Another issue relates to my credit rating. The finance is showing as settled on the credit file but both march and April show the symbol VT. this appears to have had an impact on my credit score taking it from good to fair which I am annoyed about because I have just exercised a legitimate legal right. Is there anything I can
    do about this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance
    Tags: None

I should also have said that the contract has a section headed Termination Your Rights which states the exact amount (50%) and that so long as I have paid at least this plus any overdue instalments (which there are none) and taken reasonable care of the goods then there would be nothing more to pay. To me these two clauses in the contract seem to contradict one another when it comes to the Excess Mileage Charges.

Comment

R0b Hi Wallace, I to am in the exact same position, having just VT'd my car and have been sent an invoice for £208.00 for excess mileage. Reading everything online it seems as though we should refuse/fight the invoice but it appears to be a very grey area and I don't want it affecting my credit rating. i know user 'R0b' who I have copied in seems to know alot about VT rights but I am hoping for answer!

Comment

Wallace85 Hi, I am about to VT with Alphera. How did you get on with the excess milage charges?

Comment

Hi, I know the post has been dead for a while however, I’ve just been stung by these guys. My wife had a Clio on PCP with these Alphera we took the finance out with Arnold Clarke. We decided we’d like to hand the car back as when we had it valued it was worth less than a dealer was willing to pay.

The car car was collected 2 weeks ago. A man turned up at my home address when my wife was alone, he inspected the car and claimed there was substantial damage amount to over £500! My wife was shocked and signed to disagree with the report. We heard nothing from them but now we’ve been emailed a report with no mention of us disagreeing with the damage and asking for full payment of £564 in 7 days!

Damage includes damage the the alloys wheels, new tyres’ scratches and a missing air compressor.

when we bought the car 3 years ago it was 2nd hand and had over 8,000 miles on the clock.

We we are disputing the damage to the alloys was done under our ownership and was present when we bought it, the tyres and wear and tear as they are legal tread and the compressor wasn’t in the car when we bought it.

weve made what we think is a fair and reasonable offer of £202 (covering the cost of alloy repair and scratches)

i just wanted advice and what anyone think on if we’ll be successful or not and what may happen if we refuse to pay the full amount?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X