• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Startline Motor Finance VT - damages dispute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Startline Motor Finance VT - damages dispute

Hi R0b

Hoping you can give me some advice....

I began the VT process with Startline Motor Finance at the end of February, using the letter templates from here. I received a response that I could either arrange to drop the vehicle off or I could pay £192 for collection, so I responded with the credit act etc etc that I couldn't be charged for collection and within a week they contacted me to arrange to collect (even after I refused to pay the charges, they proceeded with the collection anyway).

Car was collected and no inspection was carried out, just AVERAGE written in big letters over the report and car was taken away. Didn't hear anything for a few weeks when I was chased for the collection fee again, I stood my ground and it was then referred to their complaints department. All I received in the mean time was a letter to say they were dealing with it and would get back to me.

I then received a phone call 4th May from a lady saying that the damages have been reduced from over £1,800 to £790. I haven't received a damage report or even a letter chasing me for the payment, when I told the operative she apologised and said she'd get it sent to me ASAP.

Fast forward to 24th May, I receive a letter saying my complaint about the collection fees has been upheld and they have been written off and all that's left to pay is the damage charges (which I still haven't received a copy of!). I've sent them a letter response saying that I am still waiting for the report but have just received a text from a debt collection agency to say that my debt has been referred to them!?

Where do I stand on the damages, I can't be expected to pay for something I have no idea I owe and am furious they've referred it to a collection agency and still not actually bothered to send me the damage report! That's all despite the fact that nothing was noted on collection (which I have a copy of), how do I argue that the damage report showed nothing yet they're trying to sting me for over £700 now that they've referred it to a collection agency?
    Tags: None

If the inspection report stated "average" then that would suggest the car was returned in a reasonable condition. Don't you have a copy of the report that was carried out, usually they would provide you with one if its in paper form.

I would suggest you make another formal complaint outlining that they've failed to address the questions you have raised and why all of a sudden they are asking for a large sum of damages which they have not itemised and contrary to the report which was stated as the car in an average condition.

You could, if you wanted to also write a letter requesting that they restrict processing your data under GDPR until they have provided you with a legitimate reason and evidence of that reason as to why you are being prompted for payment.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi R0b

Thanks for your response. I've finally managed to get hold of the Manheim damage report.

I think they are trying to insinuate I've had the car resprayed. This is the list of damages they've charged for:
      Quarter Panel R Rippled finish Poor repair £ 165.00
      Front door R dull paint Poor repair £ 165.00
      Roof Rippled finish Poor repair £ 165.00
      Front door mirror housing scuffed scuffed £ 42.00
      Front screen chips 0-10mm £ 42.00
      front wheel trim scuffed spoke damage £ 27.08
      Front bumper Rippled finish full bumper £ 145.00
      Bonnet dent 10-30mm £ 48.00
      front wheel trim scuffed spoke damage £ 27.08
      Front wing L Rippled finish Poor repair £ 165.00
      Front door mirror housing scuffed Up to 25mm £ 42.00
      Front door dirt in paint Poor repair £ 165.00
      Quarter panel L Rippled finish Poor repair £ 165.00
      Fuel filler flap/cover L Preparation marks Poor repair £ 52.00
      Upholstery Soiled £ 50.00
      Roof aerial Broken £ 42.77
      Front seat base cover worn £ -
      Tailgate boot catch inoperative £ -
      Rear wheel trim scuffed spoke damage £ 27.08
      Rear wheel trim scuffed spoke damage £ 27.08
      Rear bumper scuffed 26-100mm £ 125.00
      Tailgate/boot finish Rippled finish Poor repair £ 165.00
      It's quite the list! The car is 8 years old and was 5 years old when I purchased it, so there is bound to be some wear and tear? I took a video of the car the day it was collected showing all the paint work and I can't see the rippled finish they refer to. I barely used the car in the 2 and a half years I had it and I certainly didn't have it resprayed, so any paint work issues would have been present when I purchased it.

There are a couple of items I'd be willing to pay for (I knew the boot lock wasn't working), but not all the issues with the paint they are claiming for. Would you be able to assist me with a letter response? It doesn't help that the photos they have provided are tiny and in black and white!

Comment

Hi R0b

I wrote a letter to challenge the charges and they have written back to say that it is my responsibility to check for damages and their offer is a full and final settlement.

How can i be expected to see rippled finishes in the paint and that patches of the paint are dull? Would you be able to help write a response as I'm not sure where to go from here?

Thank you!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X