• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

VT - collection charge help needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VT - collection charge help needed

Hello,

I've just voluntary terminated my car with startline and sent in one of the letter templates to confirm this and also advise that the car needs collecting within 14 days and I won't be held liable for their collection charges.

Startline have advised that they can arrange collection but there is a fee of £180ish to be paid upfront or added onto final costs.

I've told them it falls outside my liabilities under section 100, they have said its in my contract that I signed when I took out the car. I gave it my best shot at arguing that it is imposing additional liabilities on me and that they can't do that under section 173 however they have said that it isn't a charge for cancelling contract or penalty and so that section 100 and 173 don't apply.

I've logged a complaint about this but I'm not hopeful. Are they correct, are these charges enforceable? Also if I want to dispute this how best do I proceed, do I arrange for them to take the vehicle with the charges in dispute or do I delay until we get an agreement on this?
    Tags: None

Hello did they tell you this over the phone, or have they put it in writing? If it is in writing, please upload the responses with your personal info redacted.

Collection charges are likely to fall into the "compensation" category under the definition of total price or, should you refuse to pay up, they would fall into the damages for breach of the agreement. Either way, the collection charges don't form part of the total amount payable under the agreement, so they wouldn't fall within the meaning of total price.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

This was over the phone. Sorry to be dumb, but does that mean that I probably am liable and should pay or that I wouldn't normally expect to pay?

Comment

I suggest you read section 5 of the following link which sets out the legal provisions. The short answer is no you are not liable but whether you choose to pay them is entirely your decision.

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...on-your-rights
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks, I'll stick to my guns and see what their response is.

Comment

So just an update, I have decided to drop the car off at the auction house as it is right next to the Trafford Centre where we are going anyway this week. I've been told it's a 90 minute slot to drop off the car and have it appraised, I don't intend on signing anything, I'll let you all know ow how it goes

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X