• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

VT w/ Startline Motor Finance Advice Please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VT w/ Startline Motor Finance Advice Please

R0b

Hi R0b,

I was wondering if you could give me some advise.

I called Startling on 26th January to VT my HP agreement, the lady i spoke to said she will action it as my payment was due out on the 30th Jan and that it could take up to 28 days for it to be done and i should receive some letters to sign and return. She also mentioned i must keep the car taxed and insured until they either collect it (which comes with a fee) or drop it off to Manheim. There's a Mannheim not too far from me so I have no problem in dropping it off.

On the 30th Jan I sent an email, using one of your templates, to the customer services email to reiterate that i wish to Voluntary Terminate effective that date and for the vehicle to be either collected or me told where to drop it off within the next 14 days.

Since then, I haven't received any confirmation email or phone call to confirm my email has been received. What should i do next? I don't want to wait too long as I don't want another payment coming out of my account at the end of the month. (I know it\'s only been 2 days but I'm very impatient!)

Am I okay to cancel my direct debit or should I wait to receive an email response from them? When should I let the DVLA know of change of ownership? And how long do they legally have to action a VT?

Any help you can give will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bri'elle
    Tags: None

Hello

It should be fine to cancel but I usually allow at least 48-72 hours before doing so. If you want to be extra safe, give them a call and confirm receipt before you do.

I'm not sure what they mean by actioning the VT because as soon as you give notice to terminate and confirm the termination date then it's going to be cancelled. I suspect they might mean process the VT on their end but that does not affect the date of termination which, according to your post would have been 30 January, assuming it was before 4pm otherwise it would usually be construed as the next day, being 31 January. Either way we are now into February so you should be safe.

You can notify the DVLA online by going to https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle and you should get written confirmation that it has been done. As for tax and insurance, there's no legal requirement as soon as you terminate but if you are planning on dropping it off, then you might as well keep it on until you have done that.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi R0b,

Thank you for this. I'll be dropping off the car on Friday 9th Feb. I will keep you posted on the outcome of my VT with Startline.

Hopefully it goes smoothly.

Thanks again

Comment

R0b

Hi,

i've now heard back from my finance company who are requesting a pay for damages to the vehicle. the only damages they are claiming for is corrosion to 2 of the rims. Is corrosion seen as fair wear and tear? the amount they are asking for in total is £120.

I have attached the damage report so you can see.

I have spoken to the Auction Company (Manheim) and they've informed me that the vehicle has already been sold. when I asked my finance company they said they don't have that information so can't tell me if it has been sold or not. My vehicle was appraised as NAMA Grade 1.

If the vehicle has already been sold do I need to pay for these damages?

Any advise you can give will be truly appreciated.

Thank you
        Attached Files

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X