• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car hire agreement- can I get out of it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car hire agreement- can I get out of it?

Hi
    i took out what I thought was a PCP with Peugeot , when it was actually a 4 year “hire agreement”
    i realise this is stupid but the paperwork looks identical almost and the salesman assured me it was PCP, same as my previous car.

anyway , I’m 2 year 4 Months in and would ideally like to VT if possible.

can anyone advise what a hire agreement is? There is no box with termination rights which worries me.
    it is regulated by the consumer credit act
    Tags: None

@Rob

sorry, shamelessly trying to bump this post up,

if there is no section in the paperwork about right to termination, does this mean I have no right to do so?

Comment

Hello,

Generally, you would be expected to have reviewed the terms of the contract before signing it off so on the one hand it could be said that it is your fault. On the other hand, if you relied on the salesman who said it was the same as your previous agreement then that is also a potential misrepresentation. The difficult is that unless you have a witness or two to corroborate your story, your leaving it in the hands of a judge to decide on the facts and evidence before him/her. You could try to seek out going to the Financial Ombudsman but in reality they are pretty poor and I've seen on a number of occasions that they won't even look into the misrepresentation on the basis of no evidence (if oral) and it is effectively your word against theirs.

Leaving the above aside for one moment, it is true that you cannot rely on voluntary termination under sections 99 and 100 of the CCA if the agreement is a true hire agreement. Strictly speaking you can terminate a hire agreement but is subject to stringent conditions under section 101 of the CCA. There are (amongst other things) two important points to note:

1. Your annual payments must not exceed £1,500; and
      2. You cannot terminate the agreement any earlier than 18 months.

If your monthly payments exceed £1,500 per year then I am afraid you have no recourse in terms of voluntary terminating the agreement and I can only suggest making a complaint and see how far that takes you.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X