• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

excess mileage advice after using letter template

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• excess mileage advice after using letter template

Hi,
    I recently VT'd my Seat and when I received the invoice for the excess mileage I sent an email using the letter template #1 stating that i was not willing to pay for the excess mileage, this is the reply that I had from seat, I would appreciate some advice on whether I have a case or going to end up on court paying fees?

We note that you deny liability for the excess mileage charge under your hire purchase agreement.

You refer to section 100 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (the “Act”) but have failed to note that section 99 (2) explicitly states that “Termination of an agreement under subsection 1 [the right to terminate] does not affect any liability under the agreement which has accrued before the termination”.

You are correct in that excess mileage is a fundamental contractual term. You are asked to predict your mileage prior to entering into the contractual arrangement and the finance is calculated taking into account the depreciation of the vehicle based on the mileage you selected. This is clearly set out in your pre-contractual information, the front page of your agreement and clause 11 of your terms.

Clause 11 is worded as follows:-

11.1 If the Vehicle covers more than:
    - the Maximum Annual Mileage in any succeeding period of 12 months starting from the making of this Agreement and/or

- the Maximum Total Mileage;
    you will be liable to pay us the Excess Mileage Charge shown on page 1. That liability will accrue with each mile covered by the Vehicle in excess of those Mileages. You must discharge that liability be paying us on demand.

11.2 If you have paid Excess Mileage Charges in relation to the Maximum Annual Mileage we will deduct this amount from any Excess Mileage Charges payable in relation to the Maximum Total Mileage.

11.4 If this Agreement terminates early, we will reduce the Maximum Total Mileage in the proportion which the actual period of hire bears to the period of hire originally agreed. Any Excess Mileage Charge will be recalculated using that reduced Maximum Total Mileage.

Clause 11 is worded to ensure that liability for the excess mileage occurs prior to termination and therefore you remain fully liable for any excess mileage which is over and above that which you had originally selected. Our agreements are drafted by leading Counsel in consumer credit and therefore we are confident that they are not inconsistent with the Act.

Is this correct or are they just trying to scare me in to paying?

regards.
    A
    Tags: None

Re: excess mileage advice after using letter template

My understanding is that sec 99 applies to sums due to any arrears or missed payments .

This isn't my scene so others more knowledgeable might know different.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X