• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

**STRUCK OUT!!** Civil Enforcement County Court Claim Form

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Civil Enforcement County Court Claim Form

Updated version! ..... should I request CPR 31? Is it necessary or is it just to make my defence more bold? Also I am aware that I am slightly over the character limit of 1080, if someone could give advice on what I should change or not include I would really appreciate it. Thank you
    County Court Business Centre
    Claim Number: XXXXXXX

Between:

Civil Enforcement Limited v XXX

Defence Statement

I am XX, the defendant in this matter and was the registered keeper of vehicle XXXX XXX at the time of the alleged offence. I currently reside at XXX.

I deny I am liable for the entirety of the claim for each of the following reasons:

The Claim Form issued on the 11/10/2017 by Civil Enforcement Limited was not correctly filed under The Practice Direction as it was not signed by a legal person but signed by “Civil Enforcement Limited”.

This Claimant has not complied with pre-court protocol:
    (a)There was no compliant ‘Letter before County Court Claim’.
    (b) This is a speculative serial litigant, issuing a large number of identical 'draft particulars'. The badly mail-merged documents contain very little information. The covering letter merely contains a supposed PCN number with no contravention nor photographs.
    © The Claim form Particulars were extremely sparse and divulged no cause of action nor sufficient detail. The Defendant has no idea what the claim is about - why the charge arose, what the alleged contract was; nothing that could be considered a fair exchange of information.
    e) The Defence therefore asks the Court to strike out the claim as having no reasonable prospect of success as currently drafted.

f) Alternatively, the Defendant asks that the Claimant is required to file Particulars which comply with Practice Directions and include at least the following information;

(i) Whether the matter is being brought for trespass, breach of contract or a contractual charge, and an explanation as to the exact nature of the charge
    (ii) A copy of any contract it is alleged was in place (e.g. copies of signage)
    (iii) How any contract was concluded (if by performance, then copies of signage maps in place at the time)
    (iv) Whether keeper liability is being claimed, and if so copies of any Notice to Driver / Notice to Keeper
    (v) Whether the Claimant is acting as Agent or Principal, together with a list of documents they will rely on in this matter
    (vi) If charges over and above the initial charge are being claimed, the basis on which this is being claimed
    (vii) If Interest charges are being claimed, the basis on which this is being claimed

g) Once these Particulars have been filed, the Defendant asks for reasonable time to file another defence.

This case can be distinguished from ParkingEye v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 (the Beavis case) which was dependent upon an undenied contract, formed by unusually prominent signage forming a clear offer and which turned on unique facts regarding the location and the interests of the landowner. Strict compliance with the BPA Code of Practice was paramount and Mr Beavis was the driver who saw the signs and entered into a contract to pay £85 after exceeding a licence to park free. None of this applies in this material case.

Inadequate signs incapable of binding the driver - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:
    (a) Sporadic and illegible (charge not prominent nor large lettering) of site/entrance signage - breach of the POFA 2012 Schedule 4 and the BPA Code of Practice and no contract formed to pay any clearly stated sum.
    (b) Non existent ANPR 'data use' signage - breach of ICO rules and the BPA Code of Practice.
    © It is believed the signage was not lit and any terms were not transparent or legible; this is an unfair contract, not agreed by the driver and contrary to the Consumer Rights Act 2015 in requiring a huge inflated sum as 'compensation' from by an authorised party using the premises as intended.
    (d) No promise was made by the driver that could constitute consideration because there was no offer known nor accepted. No consideration flowed from the Claimant.

The Claimant has no standing to bring a case - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case.
    a. It is believed the Claimant does not hold a legitimate contract at this car park. The Defendant has no evidence that they have any proprietary interest in the car park/land in question. As an agent, the Claimant has no legal right to bring such a claim in their name. Any such claim should be in the name of the landowner.
    b. The Defendant asks the Claimant to provide a full, up-to date and signed/dated contract with the landowner (a statement saying someone has seen the contract is not enough). The contract needs to state that the Claimant is entitled to pursue matters such as these through the issue of Parking Charge Notices and in the courts in their own name. I clarify that this should be an actual copy and not just a document that claims a contract/agreement exists.

The Defendant avers that the Claimant has issued proceedings inappropriately, prematurely and without complying with the practice directions on pre-action conduct.

5/ BPA CoP breaches - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:
    (a) the signs were not compliant in terms of the font size, lighting or positioning.
    (b) the sum pursued exceeds £100.
    © there is/was no compliant landowner contract.

Grace periods
    The BPA Code of Practice (CoP) makes it mandatory for operators to allow grace periods at the start and end of parking, before enforcement action can be taken.
    The CoP states:

13.2 You should allow the driver a reasonable ‘grace period’ in which to decide if they are going to stay or go...
    13.4 You should allow the driver a reasonable period to leave the private car park after the parking contract has ended, before you take enforcement action. If the location is one where parking is normally permitted, the Grace Period at the end of the parking period should be a minimum of 10 minutes.

The Defendant denies any liability whatsoever to the Claimant in any matter and asks the Court to note that the Claimant has:

(a) Failed to disclose any cause of action in the incorrectly filed Claim Form issued on 3rd October 2017.

(b) Sent a template, well-known to be generic cut and paste 'Particulars' of claim relying on irrelevant case law (Beavis) which ignores the fact that this Claimant cannot hold registered keepers liable in law, due to their own choice of non-POFA documentation.

The vague Particulars of Claim disclose no clear cause of action. The court is invited to strike out the claim of its own volition as having no merit and no reasonable prospects of success.

I confirm that the above facts and statements are true to the best of my knowledge and recollection.

Signed

Date:

Comment

I would add a paragraph concerning the late service of PoCs & the cert of service issues.
      Highlight their failings when & where possible.

Have you contacted the court about it?
      I believe [MENTION=61850]OliverJames[/MENTION] has contact details.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Okay thank you. Will do!

Comment

Originally posted by innocentrabbit View Post
          Okay thank you. Will do!
          Unfortunately this has stopped as quickly as it started! It turns out that the CCBC will not under any circumstances accept any complaints about the malpractices carried out by CEL unless you pay for them to do so. The want an N244 filed to begin an application.

Absolute farce!

Going to email the Secretary of State for Justice to ask why mass claimants like CEL are able to get away with blatantly ignoring the processes set out by the courts!

Don't know where it will end up, but worth a shot

Comment

Sorry to bother you, but I was just about to send off my defence on the MCOL website, however, I have no available options as it states that "A bar has been put in place on this claim. You cannot respond to the claim at this time" .

As you know, my PoC was backdated. Do you think this action is due to the court not having any knowledge of the actual PoC date? I have the proof in the form of an envelope.

Again, sorry to bother you but if you have stumbled across such a scenario or know anything about what is happening, please let me know.

Thank you.

Comment

Hi ... I dont really know I sent my through email not through the defence on the mcol and I got an automated reply .... so I don't know.... ask Oliverjames....or charitynjw...they might know ...sorry I'm no help

Comment

No No, your comment was very helpful. I think I will do the same and send mine via email as I don't think I have any other way.

What email address did you send your defence to?

Thanks

Comment

ccbcaq@hmcts.gsi.gov.uk

You will need to send as an attachment in the proper format, complete with a signed statement of truth.

Put '[Claimant's name] v [you] Claim no XXXXXXXX - Defence' in email subject box
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                  Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                  gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                  The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Yes thats it...... thankyou charitynjw ...always helpful as usual

Comment

Hi again ive just received a letter from the court .. Notice of Proposed Allocation to the Small Claims Track (N180)...... got to be filed by the 19th Dec 2017 ...what do I do ...... Thanks in advance ....Pipsy

Comment

Originally posted by Pipsy View Post
                        Hi again ive just received a letter from the court .. Notice of Proposed Allocation to the Small Claims Track (N180)...... got to be filed by the 19th Dec 2017 ...what do I do ...... Thanks in advance ....Pipsy
                        Visit this page and follow the instructions. It's very straight forward and can be emailed back to them.

http://www.bmpa.eu/court_wizard/Dire...tionnaire.html

Comment

ive looked through ,,, do i do the subject access request?? and do i send it when I do a copy for them of the small claims track and can i send it by email to the court

Comment

ive looked through ,,, do i do the subject access request?? and do i send it when I do a copy for them of the small claims track and can i send it by email to the court

How can i reply to the court through e mail ....... Im sssooooooo confused
                            hahahahaha
                            Last edited by Pipsy; 5th December 2017, 20:04:PM.

Comment

Hi again ive found the form online and have filled it in and sent it to the court ccbcaq@hmcts.gsi.gov.uk and ive done a letter to the DVLA Vehicle Record Enquiries section
                              What do I do now......and how long will it be for the next part if he proccess ............... please help .thanks pipsy
                              Last edited by Pipsy; 7th December 2017, 07:43:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipsy View Post
                                Hi again ive found the form online and have filled it in and sent it to the court ccbcaq@hmcts.gsi.gov.uk and ive done a letter to the DVLA Vehicle Record Enquiries section
                                What do I do now......and how long will it be for the next part if he proccess ............... please help .thanks pipsy
                                Can you please have a look to see what l can do next...hope you've had a good break charitynjw

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X