• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt Enforcement Limited Claim at County Court Business Centre

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt Enforcement Limited Claim at County Court Business Centre

Hi All,

Such brilliant advice on these forums, you should be really proud of the support you offer regular everyday people.

I'm keeping a keen eye on developments of other cases as they're pretty much identical to mine.

The only slight variation on my case, is that I have moved house, and the court claim has gone to my old address. The 'offence' was in May 2012 and we moved shortly after. The new home owners have forward me the court letter as it looked quite serious.

My initial thought was to ignore the claim, but now I'm thinking that might take a relative amount of sorting out if they finally put a CCJ on my name.

I've never responded to any letters from the various companies, I haven't got any of the letters previously sent, and the Co-Op car park I regularly use is now managed by a different company so I have no idea what the signage suggested. I appreciate my defence is made more tricky by this, but I'm not afraid of the research and commitment involved. My recollection, I actually think the reason they've issued the penalty is because I visited the co-op twice in one evening for party supplies (but I can't be sure from 3 years ago).

Does anyone have any advice on the address situation? I can obviously write to the court and notify them of my new address, but I'm wondering if this gives me a better legal standing if they're issuing everything against somebody who isn't there?
    Tags: None

Re: Debt Enforcement Limited Claim at County Court Business Centre

My advice is not to feck about. If that is your last known address which they legitimately obtained from the DVLA then they'll be ok and you'll make it harder for yourself.

Post up the claim and any letters you may still have (suitably sanitised)

M1

Comment

Thanks Mystery1,

I've attached the claim form. I'll talk to the new home owner and see if they have any of the previous letters hidden somewhere. I threw away the first letter years ago.

I'll use the login to acknowledge the claim this evening. Any boxes I specifically need to tick during this process? I assume it should be quite self explanatory...

The particulars of the claim seem a little vague. Interesting that they're going to issue me with the particulars of the claim within 14 days, yet I only have 14 days to reply to the service.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MrRK View Post
        Hi All,

Such brilliant advice on these forums, you should be really proud of the support you offer regular everyday people.

I'm keeping a keen eye on developments of other cases as they're pretty much identical to mine.

The only slight variation on my case, is that I have moved house, and the court claim has gone to my old address. The 'offence' was in May 2012 and we moved shortly after. The new home owners have forward me the court letter as it looked quite serious.

My initial thought was to ignore the claim, but now I'm thinking that might take a relative amount of sorting out if they finally put a CCJ on my name.

I've never responded to any letters from the various companies, I haven't got any of the letters previously sent, and the Co-Op car park I regularly use is now managed by a different company so I have no idea what the signage suggested. I appreciate my defence is made more tricky by this, but I'm not afraid of the research and commitment involved. My recollection, I actually think the reason they've issued the penalty is because I visited the co-op twice in one evening for party supplies (but I can't be sure from 3 years ago).

Does anyone have any advice on the address situation? I can obviously write to the court and notify them of my new address, but I'm wondering if this gives me a better legal standing if they're issuing everything against somebody who isn't there?
        I've a feeling that earlier this year there were some claims that DE was a dormant company??

nem

Comment

Ahh different company on the POC Civil Enforcement not Debt Enforcement.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
            I've a feeling that earlier this year there were some claims that DE was a dormant company??

nem
            This is my mistake!! It's Civil Enforcement Limited, not Debt Enforcement Limited.

Comment

This is my mistake!! It's Civil Enforcement Limited, not Debt Enforcement Limited.
              Yes well the confusion is understandable really http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ht=#post560425

If you had the same assignment letter and didn't keep it, shame on you.

M1

Comment

That's why I had Debt Enforcement on my mind. I assume having that letter on them assigning the debt would help.

I doubt they have it, but I'll check anyway.

Anything in particular I need to specify in the online login area?

Comment

No. We are just getting the extra 14 days for acknowledging service.

Having the letter is a great thing.

M1

Comment

Got the assignment letters. I've posted letters to the solicitors etc.

Very interested in the scenario that will play out due to the assignment of debt.

I have another 13 days to submit the defence.

Comment

Got the assignment letters. I've posted letters to the solicitors etc.

Very interested in the scenario that will play out due to the assignment of debt.

I have another 13 days to submit the defence.
                      So am i. If we get someone to pick this up then they are in serious trouble. 3 live claims here and 1 which they obtained a default judgement on which the defendant is seeking to set aside and everyone has either brilliant evidence or pretty damning evidence. (other claims on other fora but not sure how many have the evidence)

The case(s) is/are not that interesting and when we defend them properly they'll never reach a judge but the contempt of court is quite exciting really.

M1

Comment

Hi Mistery1,

So I followed your posts on VampireG, but I believe I've moved further than them now so I'll need some input.

I submitted my defence, and received the confirmation. I then received a Mediation offer, and agreed that I would be prepared to compromise. I read on another post that you suggested it showed us in a good light to the judge.

They've arranged a phone call for next week, but I'm not sure what my compromise should be.

I was considering offering a £5 gesture towards what ever the Co-op may have last by my vehicle being in their car park...

Obviously I'm not going to admit it was me, or that we did overstay. I was tempted to reduce the £5 gesture by the percentage that CEL wrote off to Debt Enforcement Ltd.

What are your thoughts?

From the Mediation Team Email:
                        1. You must participate in mediation in good faith, with the intent to reach an agreement. If you attend with no intention of negotiating or compromising, the mediator will terminate the session. You must be prepared and willing to put your points forward, and to listen to the points raised by the other party.
                        Top Tip: Spend a few moments making a list of the strengths & weaknesses of your case and think about how & where you are able to compromise.

Thanks in Advance

Comment

If it were me i'd offer to let them drop the matter for no costs since they assigned it to another company. In exchange i'd offer to not ask the court to investigate contempt of court.

I will draw up a letter on contempt of court eventually (probably should have done it already!)

M1

Comment

Will the mediation service be happy with this as a valid compromise?

Comment

Mediation can be anything the parties wish it to be. Details should not make it to court.

Mediators are middlemen even though some report a little bias. They probably have some moral compass and targets to meet which explains this.

They have no real power. I wouldn't worry about what they think.

M1

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X