• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PCN for allegedly driving in a bus lane.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCN for allegedly driving in a bus lane.

Hello,

I'm a fairly new driver (since May) and I've just been issued a penalty charge for allegedly driving in a bus lane. I'm fairly familiar with the road in question, as I drive it almost daily to retrieve my partner from work. Anyway, they did send me photographic evidence, which I feel only further supports the unjustness of their claims. I'm just looking for a bit of advice in forming a response, as I intend to challenge the fine.

I apologise if I'm posting this in the wrong place, I’m new to this too.

Thank you for your time

Leighton
    Tags: None

Stills never tell the whole story. You need to view the video, often available on-line on the councils website.

Comment

You really need to give more info, but the best forum for penalty charges is Pepipoo : http://www.pepipoo.com/

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for your responses. I just thought I'd post an update, as it may help others.

I wrote back to the council and made representations on the grounds that I didn't believe the alleged contravention occurred.

A bit of research produced a document on the council website, that contained guidelines for traffic enforcement and the issuing of penalties. The guidelines specifically state that a driver must be observed to have travelled 20 meters within a bus lane, before a penalty should be issued (This may be specific to Bury, but is also apparently the case in London).

I didn’t believe I even travelled within the bus lane at all, let alone 20 meters. I also felt the photographic evidence they supplied only further supported that I did not contravene the bus lane enforcement. That particular stretch of road has a fragmented bus lane (guess how long each stretch is), however I was confident that I didn’t drive in any part of it. (I accept my front left wheel touched the line separating the re-starting of the bus lane as is clear in image 3)

Even more surprising (to me) is that the penalty wasn’t issued through any automated system. This was via a human being sat in a tiny half a car on the verge.

I stated all the above in my letter, sent Recorded Delivery. In particular I pointing out their own documentation, that contradicts them issuing me with a penalty in the first place. They don’t offer the ability to view the video online, instead you have to book an appointment to attend the council to watch it. I therefore stated that if common sense and rational thought did not prevail, to book me an appointment.

2 days later I receive a letter quashing the penalty.

Comment

Well done and thank you for letting us know

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X