• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Iceland Parking Charge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iceland Parking Charge

I parked in my local Iceland last month and didn't have any change well I didn't have any cash on me and therefore I received a parking ticket which is fine if I had been anywhere else other then Icelands but I had not! I was probably in Icelands for approximately 28mins and I have the receipt! What I do object to is the extortionate £100 charge or if you pay within 2 weeks it's £60 either way I don't have that type of money spare each month! I have been putting it off and putting it off but it's actually crunch time and I should really pay it today! I really don't want to pay this but I am not sure I have a choice? Any advice would be gratefully received

Mich
    Tags: None

Re: Iceland Parking Charge

Have you been to see the manager at Iceland, taking your receipt with you?

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
      Have you been to see the manager at Iceland, taking your receipt with you?
      I have contacted there head office last night so have to wait for a reply now! But thanks

Comment

In the meantime, get photos of the site signage, & keep safe the first Notice to Keeper &, if applicable, the windscreen ticket.
        Do not (as my son did!) hand over the windscreen ticket (or any other documentation) to anyone on the promise "I'll get it cancelled for you". If required, give them copies of the original.
        These documents can be (& often are) challenged on whether they are compliant with the applicable legislation.
        If you don't have them because you've given them away, it makes that task very much more difficult.

& never disclose the identity of whoever was driving at the time, even if the driver & the registered keeper are one & the same. (unless it wasn't you & you wish to pass the liability to that person, of course). If you refer to your first post on this thread, you have done exactly that.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
          In the meantime, get photos of the site signage, & keep safe the first Notice to Keeper &, if applicable, the windscreen ticket.
          Do not (as my son did!) hand over the windscreen ticket (or any other documentation) to anyone on the promise "I'll get it cancelled for you". If required, give them copies of the original.
          These documents can be (& often are) challenged on whether they are compliant with the applicable legislation.
          If you don't have them because you've given them away, it makes that task very much more difficult.

& never disclose the identity of whoever was driving at the time, even if the driver & the registered keeper are one & the same. (unless it wasn't you & you wish to pass the liability to that person, of course). If you refer to your first post on this thread, you have done exactly that.
          As of yet I have not handed over any paperwork at all and I still have the screen ticket and the receipt from the shop and I would either send them copies or I would make copies for myself been bitten before so wouldn't take any chances! I was the driver but I'm not the registered keeper this is worrying me and I did put my head in the sand a bit with his because it really should of been paid yesterday but like I said I have contacted Iceland head office and have to wait a reply! I have not contacted the parking company at all!

Comment

Ok

Can I assume that postal notification was sent to the RK?

Either way, do not 'out' the driver.
            If you do, the driver can then be pursued for the claim without reference to the Protection of Freedoms Act.
            They can do so via common law contract breach (a much easier route for them).
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Ok

Can I assume that postal notification was sent to the RK?

Either way, do not 'out' the driver.
              If you do, the driver can then be pursued for the claim without reference to the Protection of Freedoms Act.
              They can do so via common law contract breach (a much easier route for them).
              Yes you assume right! I am insured for the car and my name is on the insurance policy! Not sure what you mean to be honest with regards to me? As I have said I have contacted Icelands head office and had to give my name and address to them which is different to the registered keeper! what should I do in the mean time as I have daid before I should have paid the fine yesterday and therefore they are going to be in contact with the registered keeper and they will be going down the prosecution root I'm guessing which will imply more money and neither of us can really afford for that to happen
              thanks for any advice you can give me

Comment

Originally posted by Mich-21460 View Post
                Yes you assume right!
                *Phew* (As it is often said, it is dangerous to assume.......).
                I am insured for the car and my name is on the insurance policy! Not sure what you mean to be honest with regards to me? As I have said I have contacted Icelands head office and had to give my name and address to them
                Not so. There is no presumption (in civil law cases) that the RK is the same person as the driver. But if you have already done so, that can't be undone. The question would be, though, has Iceland informed the parking company that of that?
                which is different to the registered keeper!
                what should I do in the mean time as I have daid before I should have paid the fine yesterday and therefore they are going to be in contact with the registered keeper and they will be going down the prosecution root I'm guessing which will imply more money and neither of us can really afford for that to happen
                It is not a fine. At the moment it would be a speculative invoice for an alleged breach of contract, You certainly cannot be 'prosecuted'. It is not a criminal offence.
                thanks for any advice you can give me
                ####
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

####

I doubt that Iceland would have informed the parking company yet, I only emailed them last night so I very much doubt this will be looked at until Monday? I am hoping that they will get back in touch with me first? I have not given them any details of the penalty charge as of yet I wanted to wait for a reply to see what they say about it first! So if there is another letter from the parking company I will let you know on here many thanks for all your help and advice hopefully I will get a resolution from Iceland! It's appalling how these companies can charge such extortionate amounts of money and get away with it!

Comment

Just a thought.
                    If you approached Iceland as a customer, that does not necessarily denote the driver.
                    So you could make that clear to them.
                    If it were me I'd follow up your email to stipulate this & state that you have emailed them in confidence, & that they refer to you only as the customer if & when they contact the parking co.

If it were me I would not refer to a 'penalty' charge, & certainly not a 'fine'
                    Charge for parking, perhaps?
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Ok I will send them another email stating that, thanks, also a letter arrived today from the parking company giving another 7 days to pay up or they will be pursuing for the unpaid balance and they have given us u tip the 28/6/17 only just found this out from rk they are a member of IPC and they also say we can't appeal to this as the time as aready lapsed!

Comment

On the signage, is there any other method of payment (eg 'Ringgo'?).
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

There is nothing on the letter stating that! I would have to go to the branch of Icelands and have a look at the sign! What does that mean then? They have a note on the letter stating that failure to settle the parking charge by the timescale may result in additional costs being incurred through debt recovery or court action? Can they actually do that?

Comment

It is very important that you do take photos of the actual signs at the site.
                            It has been known for parking companies to use stock pictures of signage that may vary from the wording of the site signs.
                            If you don't have proof, it would be difficult to contest this.

Re additional costs, the first point to make is that the reduced cost is exactly that, a discount for early payment.
                            The 'contract breach' cost is the actual full amount which is stated on the signage (often £100, but can vary).
                            If they want to add 'extras', they have to justify them.
                            They often fail when challenged.
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

I will drive to the branch and take a picture of the sign! I fear I'm not going to get anywhere with this, hopefully Iceland will do something about it but I don't hold out much hope to be honest thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X