• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PCN - Belfast,Northern Ireland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCN - Belfast,Northern Ireland

Hi all, there seems to be a lot of helpful people on here so thought I would try my luck. I have provided as much information as possible but feel free to ask any questions!

PCN Information;

Parking offence: 11/08/2016
    Contravention: Not in a parking bay

My side of the story;
    I was parking before work and there were no spaces, the area I parked in is more than sufficient to be a parking space and I didn’t block anyone parking there however it isn’t marked as a bay. I have seen the parking officer out and about around 10am so knew to go back out to my car before then. Sure enough I was out for 10am just before he got there and was talking to him face to face, I explained I had paid my parking for the week and didn’t want to pay somewhere else so asked him would it be ok to come out around 10.30am and move the car then. He agreed it would be fine but to make sure I came out and moved it. I checked the car park just about every 30 mins but no spaces freed up and around 1pm I went out to check and there was the parking ticket stuck on the windshield. I think it was a different officer that issued the PCN from the person I was talking to. Below details the correspondence I have had with various agencies:

I appealed within 14 days directly to PEA, then on 31/08/16 they responded – “Thank you for your recent appeal. Unfortunately your appeal has been rejected.” I was on holiday until the 5th September and I replied with:

Dear Sir/Madam,
    Re: Parking ticket XXXXX
    I was issued with a parking ticket for parking at ABC on 11/08/2016. I believe this ticket was issued unfairly and that I don’t need to pay it because:
    Although my ticket states "Not in a parking bay" I had already asked the parking enforcement officer who was there in the morning for permission to leave my car in the free space, which should be noted did not block any areas and under the premise I would continually check for a space becoming available this permission was granted as there were no spaces available. I had paid my parking for the week and I don't believe that the car park should be oversubscribed like this. There were many cars parked around the area 'Not in parking bays' and I don't know if they were also ticketed? As you can see I checked my car throughout the day but there were no free spaces available so I couldn't move my car. I didn't want to pay at another car park having already paid at ABC for the week! I have also already asked the company about paying for a year in a DESIGNATED space but this query has been ignored. I hope this issue can be resolved without my having to change car parking providers.
    Yours faithfully….

They then responded on 06/09/16:

Dear Mr,
    Thank you for your email.
    Unfortunately this notice cannot be appealed further. Usually we would offer the option of appealing to the Independent Appeals Service (IAS) or the Parking On Private Land Appeals Service (POPLA) to allow customers to appeal further, details of this would've been on the Rejection letter. Sadly, this is only on mainland PCN's which are covered under the Protection Of Freedom's Act 2012 and as such is not available to PCN's issued in Northern Ireland.
    PCN parking Solutions

I replied the same day:

Dear Sir/Madam,
    Re: Parking ticket XXXX
    Thank you for your reply. However I would disagree with this outcome, what authority are you to impose an appeal process of when you say it is closed then it must be this way? There has been no open dialogue regarding these circumstances.
    As I paid £20 for a service (parking without any issues arising) which I did not receive, I would like to request a refund of this money. When I receive this refund of £20, then I can pay this "fine" of £60. When I pay this fine, you will also have lost a customer and I will not use this car park in future.
    I have also notified BPA and other authorities regarding this issue.
    Thanks,
    The BPA sent me a rubbish email about how they weren’t a regulatory body to intervene with disputes. I got a reply on 08/09/16:
    Thank you for your recent email.

In regards to your request for a refund; we are unable to fulfill your request due to us being a 3rd party company and we deal with the Administration of the PCN.
    You would need to contact the enforcement agency "Parking and Enforcement Agency Limited" http://peaparking.eu
    Please note that the balance of £60.00 is available for a further 2 days

I responded to this on the same day:

Re: Parking ticket 183741691
    If you want the money to be paid then you can contact the enforcement agency "Parking and Enforcement Agency Limited" and freeze the balance of £60.00 until they first process the refund. There is a business relationship between PCN and PEA so I will let you open that communication stream as I don't think it is my responsibility.
    Thanks,

And they got back to me with this on 09/09/16:

Thank you for your email.
    If you feel you are entitled to a refund then it is your responsibility to seek this out as you see fit, we are under no obligation to carry out any request you've made here.
    However, in the interests of not being obstructive we will forward your request to our client and place your account on seven day hold, you will not be granted a subsequent hold and if the matter progresses after this time whilst still waiting for comment from the Operator we will not be re-reducing the balance as a result of your request.

From this point onwards I received nothing! Thinking they had maybe backed down due to my persistence over the issue. I was mistaken however and towards the end of last week UCS (debt collector) got in contact with me over the matter. I rang the agency straight away and explained to them that nothing had been sent to me! The lady on the phone was actually quite nice but then I got a response:

Dear Mr,
    We have been advised by Ultimate Customer Solutions that you claim not have been responded to in concern of your query raised to both ourselves and PEA.
    Please find below the response to your email as provided to you at the time as evidenced by the content.
    We have removed the hold on this account and all further contact will need to be made through UCS as they are dealing with the outstanding matter. Please direct all correspondence to them using the details below ….
    PCN parking Solutions

The email included in their response date marked - 16/09/16 apparently in response to my email on 08/09/16:

Dear Mr,
    We wish to acknowledge receipt of your further correspondence.
    Due to the vehicle being ticketed in accordance with the regulations of the site we are unable to overturn our previous decision.
    Thank you once again for writing and this is our final decision.
    Kind regards,
    Appeals Officer

It literally says ‘Appeals Officer’ in the email. This email I doubt was ever sent and has probably been made up by PCN parking Solutions themselves. They are now claiming I owe £160, £100 for the ticket and £60 for the debt collection agency. What should I do? Is the easiest option to just pay up? I was just making a hassle to avoid the charge but looking back I should have paid the £60 to avoid all this. I have told them how it doesn’t make sense I would ignore them after being so active about the matter! I rang UCS again today to explain but the agent just hung up on me when I was getting the PCN number. Where do I stand on this now – I don’t want any negative impact or CCJ’s appearing on my credit rating – I’d pay up to avoid that but there is a stubbornness in me that would love to stick it to them. Any help appreciated! Thanks, P.
    Tags: None

Re: PCN - Belfast,Northern Ireland

Quit wasting your time. No further appeal in NI or Scotland. Ignore or pay. (don't ignore court papers if they arrive.)

M1

Comment

So if I ignore until court papers arrive it could then lead to a bigger fee to pay and also possibly negatively affecting my credit score? So the answer is to pay? Thanks for responding.

Comment

Well there is always the risk of costs in court. The risk of actually being taken to court is quite small though. Your credit score is only hampered if you lose and don't pay within a month.

You can pay if you want, I wouldn't.

M1

Comment

Thanks again for responding! As I said I wish I paid the £60 when I had the chance, now I dont want things to escalate further and be saying I wish I paid the £160 when I had the chance. What would the costs be if taken to court (and is that the same as when people say CCJ?). Thanks.

Comment

All in it could be around £200 and yes, CCJ stands for county court judgement. A claim form isn't a judgement.

M1

Comment

Thanks again for replying. So you reckon its £160 vs. £200ish? Funny thing is I was telling a friend about this and it turns out he has been getting letters from the same company too but he didnt realise what it was about and had just binned the debt collection agency letters. So whilst they are calling me and being active about mine (I had a call today but I let it go to voicemail) he said his has only been about 2 letters, no calls or emails and his offence was around March time. Do you think they are more likely to escalate mine? Not sure what we both should do, my friend says they are just going to ignore it though.

Comment

I'd ignore, personally.

M1

Comment

Hi again mystery1 and all.
                  I have now received a letter from 'CSB Solicitors' dated 28th October with the threat 'Our client may instruct us to take legal action against you in the district court'.
                  How would you play this out now? Also could you clarify how much I should expect to pay if they escalate and what the process is?

The shocking thing is people still park in this space that hasn't been made into a bay, so I wonder how many other people they have caught! Can I argue the fine isn't reasonable as by parking there I wasn't costing them any money? I paid for parking and didn't park in the bay = £160 doesn't add up!

Thanks for all your help

Comment

Who is their client ?

M1

Comment

UCS (Ultimate Customer Solutions)

Comment

Originally posted by MacP View Post
                        UCS (Ultimate Customer Solutions)

Debt collection b0llocks. File and ignore.

M1

Comment

Also could you clarify how much I should expect to pay if they escalate and what the process is?

Comment

It's a bit of a rollercoaster. It goes up and up and up and up until they think, hmm not getting feck all here let's offer a discount, or two. Eventually it may go from a high of £3180751674253285 (approx) to under £100.

The problem they have is knowing who the driver is. The RK is no use to them outside E&W.

You should end up with a pile of paper and the "debt" becoming statute barred and paying nothing.

M1

Comment

Hi again,

If you read the above does my correspondence confirm to them I was the driver?
                              Also what does "The RK is no use to them outside E&W" mean?

I read for the
                              "debt" becoming statute barred would take 6 years of no payments AND you haven't had any contact from the creditor during this time; AND. the creditor hasn't gone to court for a CCJ for the debt.

Honestly what would you expect the charges to rise to if they take legal action? And what do I have to do if that letter comes?

Thanks for all your help

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X