• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

speeding fine from metropolitan police

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speeding fine from metropolitan police

received a letter from met police on speeding.

copy of the letter attached.

my question is ,

I do not know who was the driver, me or my partner. we know it was defiantly 1 of us.
    can I put down my name.
    is there any way for them to find out who it was and what would happen if it turned out to be my partner.
    Last edited by harish_maru; 29th September 2015, 21:39:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: speeding fine from metropolitan police

You need to remove that lnk as it has the vehicle registration number showing with make and model

Honesty is the best policy

Just tell them you are unsure who was the driver, you or your other half and leave the ball in their court. They will contact you on how they wish to follow it up

This looks like a speed camera (Truvelo) that got you so they will be able to see who was driving

Write back and request a copy of the photograph
    Last edited by judgemental24; 29th September 2015, 20:45:PM.

Comment

Have to agree with Judgemental DONT lie you may not get the photograph unless its taken to court which may incur a greater penalty

Comment

thank u all so much, I will write to them as judgemental24 said.

Comment

Originally posted by harish_maru View Post
          thank u all so much, I will write to them as judgemental24 said.

Please don't. Whilst their are parts of legislation which can be a defence the bar is high.

172 Duty to give information as to identity of driver etc in certain circumstances.

(1)This section applies—

(a)to any offence under the preceding provisions of this Act except—

(i)an offence under Part V, or

(ii)an offence under section 13, 16, 51(2), 61(4), 67(9), 68(4), 96 or 120,

and to an offence under section 178 of this Act,
          (b)to any offence under sections 25, 26 or 27 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988,

(c)to any offence against any other enactment relating to the use of vehicles on roads, F2. . . and

(d)to manslaughter, or in Scotland culpable homicide, by the driver of a motor vehicle.

(2)Where the driver of a vehicle is alleged to be guilty of an offence to which this section applies—

(a)the person keeping the vehicle shall give such information as to the identity of the driver as he may be required to give by or on behalf of a chief officer of police, and

(b)any other person shall if required as stated above give any information which it is in his power to give and may lead to identification of the driver.

(3)Subject to the following provisions, a person who fails to comply with a requirement under subsection (2) above shall be guilty of an offence.

(4)A person shall not be guilty of an offence by virtue of paragraph (a) of subsection (2) above if he shows that he did not know and could not with reasonable diligence have ascertained who the driver of the vehicle was.

(5)Where a body corporate is guilty of an offence under this section and the offence is proved to have been committed with the consent or connivance of, or to be attributable to neglect on the part of, a director, manager, secretary or other similar officer of the body corporate, or a person who was purporting to act in any such capacity, he, as well as the body corporate, is guilty of that offence and liable to be proceeded against and punished accordingly.

(6)Where the alleged offender is a body corporate, or in Scotland a partnership or an unincorporated association, or the proceedings are brought against him by virtue of subsection (5) above or subsection (11) below, subsection (4) above shall not apply unless, in addition to the matters there mentioned, the alleged offender shows that no record was kept of the persons who drove the vehicle and that the failure to keep a record was reasonable.

(7)A requirement under subsection (2) may be made by written notice served by post; and where it is so made—

(a)it shall have effect as a requirement to give the information within the period of 28 days beginning with the day on which the notice is served, and

(b)the person on whom the notice is served shall not be guilty of an offence under this section if he shows either that he gave the information as soon as reasonably practicable after the end of that period or that it has not been reasonably practicable for him to give it.

(8)Where the person on whom a notice under subsection (7) above is to be served is a body corporate, the notice is duly served if it is served on the secretary or clerk of that body.

(9)For the purposes of section 7 of the Interpretation Act 1978 as it applies for the purposes of this section the proper address of any person in relation to the service on him of a notice under subsection (7) above is—

(a)in the case of the secretary or clerk of a body corporate, that of the registered or principal office of that body or (if the body corporate is the registered keeper of the vehicle concerned) the registered address, and

(b)in any other case, his last known address at the time of service.

(10)In this section—

“registered address”, in relation to the registered keeper of a vehicle, means the address recorded in the record kept under [F3 the Vehicles Excise and Registration Act 1994] with respect to that vehicle as being that person’s address, and
          “registered keeper”, in relation to a vehicle, means the person in whose name the vehicle is registered under that Act;
          and references to the driver of a vehicle include references to the rider of a cycle.
          (11)Where, in Scotland, an offence under this section is committed by a partnership or by an unincorporated association other than a partnership and is proved to have been committed with the consent or connivance or in consequence of the negligence of a partner in the partnership or, as the case may be, a person concerned in the management or control of the association, he (as well as the partnership or association) shall be guilty of the offence.]

The statutory defence in (4) is tougher because the Hamiltons used it. You have to convince a bench that you took all steps you could to work out who was driving. This does not work if you just say i couldn't remember so i asked my wife and she couldn't remember either. That'd lead to 6 points, a large fine and monster insurance premiums for 5 years.

M1

Comment

thanks for the the information M1.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X