• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Free Parking for Tradesmen Stopped

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Parking for Tradesmen Stopped

Hi All,

This is a tricky one, and I'm just looking for some opinions on how this will be viewed by the tribunal.

Our local city council offered free parking to sign written commercial vehicles, parked in metered parking bays, for up to 2 hours. Beyond this time, a ticket needed to be purchased from the machine, or a permit acquired by calling the parking team.

A few months back, one of our vehicles was issued with a PCN, and I appealed it in the usual manner stating that the vehicle was sign written and parked within the bay for no longer than 45 minutes. The appeal was rejected, as at the beginning of 2017, the free parking rule was scrapped and all trades need to pay for their parking.

I wrote back, stating that we were not made aware of this, and so we would appreciate some leeway with this first PCN, promising that we will put measures in place to ensure our team of engineers know to purchase tickets from now on.

There is no depute that the vehicle was parked in the marked bay, and there is no depute that the rules have changed as they have confirmed it to me in writing. However, the reason I wish to stand firm on this, is that over the last year, our vehicles have probably been parked in the city over 200 times, and not once have we ever been told about this by any parking wardens (nor have they given us a ticket).

Naturally our costs have increased, as we're now purchasing every ticket, but the way I look at it, we've been lucky to have free parking for all these years anyway, so I'm happy to contribute our bit. Bitterness towards paying is definitely not influencing my decision to appeal this.

I guess my argument is... where were we supposed to hear about the changes to the rules, and surely an element of leeway should be given in cases where a business or tradesman have their first offence. The free parking rules have been in place for over 10 years.

Thoughts and opinions welcome please.
    Tags: None

You say you weren't aware of the change in regulations, but presumably the change was published.
    In response to your appeal did the council say where and when the change was published?

Generally ignorance of the law or regulations is not taken as a viable defence, but if the change was not sufficiently well publicized who knows, the tribunal might take a sympathetic view (but I wouldn't count on it!)

Comment

Yes I can understand that. I have previously looked for the regulation and couldn't find it. I have put in a request for the documents.

Where would one usually look for them?

Comment

Scratch that. I've found the enforcement guidelines. Thank you.

Comment

Naturally our costs have increased, as we're now purchasing every ticket, but the way I look at it, we've been lucky to have free parking for all these years anyway
          and even luckier you got away without a pcn 200 times.

I guess my argument is... where were we supposed to hear about the changes to the rules, and surely an element of leeway should be given in cases where a business or tradesman have their first offence.
          The council probably did exercise discretion initially, but understandably not a year after free parking ended.

Adjudicators can only rule on points of law, they do not have discretion on mitigating circumstances, so any appeal will be refused

You now have 1 pcn payable against 200 parking fees If you had known about the new restrictions.

Comment

So what do the signs in the area say ?

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
              So what do the signs in the area say ?
              The signage doesn't reference the contractor parking rules.

Originally posted by michael View Post

The council probably did exercise discretion initially, but understandably not a year after free parking ended.

Adjudicators can only rule on points of law, they do not have discretion on mitigating circumstances, so any appeal will be refused

You now have 1 pcn payable against 200 parking fees If you had known about the new restrictions.

Despite the reply from the council telling me the new regulations came in last year, they actually came in to force in the middle of February this year. I believe the offence was in April. In light of this new information, do you believe the adjudicators would be more open to forcing the council to use discretion on this?

Comment

In light of this new information, do you believe the adjudicators would be more open to forcing the council to use discretion on this?
                Adjudicators cannot make a council use their discretion. They can recommended councils to use it, but councils can happily ignore the recommendation.

I asume you are at the stage where you are liable for the full penalty, so you have nothing to lose by going to adjudication, but I'd be very surprised if an appeal was allowed

Comment

Originally posted by MrRK View Post
                  Hi All,

surely an element of leeway should be given in cases where a business or tradesman have their first offence. The free parking rules have been in place for over 10 years.
                  Looking at this situation from the authorities position, why should a business or trader be given leeway? If you use that argument, why restrict it to trades people? Everyone should be able to argue for a 3 month period of grace before having to abide by the new regulations.

I just can't see the logic in your arguments, and I doubt any tribunal would agree with you.

IMO better off coughing up the reduced rate if still available and avoid wasting time going to tribunal

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X