• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

A lesson in taking PROPER advice and not jumping in headfirst re litigation....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lesson in taking PROPER advice and not jumping in headfirst re litigation....

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/m...-a3817311.html

Very sad, but sadly the right judgment - the bailiff was send to collect on a judgment debt, the right course of action was NOT to sue the bailiff company. How on earth it ended up at £30k costs though. Goodness.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/m...-a3817311.html

Very sad, but sadly the right judgment - the bailiff was send to collect on a judgment debt, the right course of action was NOT to sue the bailiff company. How on earth it ended up at £30k costs though. Goodness.
    I'd love to know what she actually filed the claim based on.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Sorry forgot the judgment - http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2016/610.html

found it... http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2018/803.html
      On 1 December 2011 Ms Loson issued proceedings in the County Court against the bailiffs seeking an injunction to restrain them from disposing of the vehicle and damages for the loss of the use of the vehicle in the four or five days when it was in the pound. The basis of the claim seems to have been that she had requested the bailiffs not to tow the car away until she (or her husband who was supposed to be dealing with the dispute about the parking ticket) had been given the opportunity to pay what was due. The bailiffs' defence was that Ms Loson was confrontational and unco-operative and that there was no prospect of payment.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

The judgement is available - http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/format...l&query=(loson)

It's been ongoing issue since May 2010 - the initial court case in 2011 was an attempt to get an injunction against the bailiff and it's all dragged on since then. The latest case was an argument over two costs orders which had been made in the earlier cases - a district judge had made an instalment order which was overturned on appeal. The latest case was an appeal against that earlier decisions.

Comment

Was the original judgment against Mr Emzie a default judgment ? I suppose if he refused to apply to set that aside and let it go to enforcement she didn't feel she had have much choice but to try and prevent the baliffs but to get all the way to this point racking up £30k in costs ? Crazy beans.
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

The parking tribunal rejected their appeal so the order for recovery by the court was basically a rubber stamping exercise. It seems they also tried an appeal against the parking tribunal's decision...

As I understand it the court have to issue the order for recovery unless there's a procedural error - in the same way as a council tax liability order works. Where there's a tribunal route of appeal the court usually have very little power to consider the background of why the request for an order has been made.

For interest - the earlier case against the bailiff is listed here - http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/format...l&query=(loson)

Comment

That is shocking

I can't see if she tried to use her own degree training or did someone/somewhere else egg her on.

As a law student she would have access to both the SU and probably law lecturers

It must be devastating for her - potentially implications to her apparent ambitions to practice law

Comment

In the original case against the bailiff the judgement states: "I do accept that Mr Emezie was the architect of these proceedings brought by his wife and that he was the controlling mind. It seems to me that costs would not have been incurred without his driving force."

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X