• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking Eye due to reg mistake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parking Eye due to reg mistake

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
    The registered keeper has many technical defences via the Protection of Freedoms Act Schedule 4.
    Revealing the driver ID may well blow these out of the water.
    I think it may be more accurate to say that the Claimant has more technical offences via POFA 2012 Schedule 4, as without POFA, the keeper would have no liability at all!

Private parking in summary: The driver is the only person who can enter into a parking contract with a PPC. The driver was the one who (presumably) read the signs containing the terms and conditions of the offered contract of parking, and it was the driver's action of "parking" that implied the driver's alleged acceptance of the offer and, thus, form the contract with the PPC. However, usually the PPC will not know who was driving a particular vehicle at the time of the alleged breach of contract, so the only option available to them (POFA 2012 outlawed private clamping and towing) is to obtain the RK's details and use POFA to hold the RK liable for the driver's alleged breach of contract. But in order to use POFA the PPC has to follow the rules in Schedule 4 very closely, which they often seem to be unable to do. The bottom line is that if the driver is named, the PPC's job is much easier, as they don't have to follow POFA Schedule 4 and can go after the driver directly.

--Topolino di Chiesa
    Notice: Nothing written above this line should be taken as legal advice, or as any other kind of advice, for that matter. It is absurd, bollocks, crazy, delusional, erroneous, fatuous, garbage, hysterical, incomplete, jocular, kooky, ludicrous, malapropos, nescient, out-of-date, pathetic, quisquilious, ridiculous, sapless, tactless, unsuitable, vapid, wrong, xecrable (yeah, yeah, why don't you try coming up with a suitable word​ beginning with 'x'?), yieldless and zeroable.

Comment

Re: Parking Eye due to reg mistake

Originally posted by topolinodichiesa View Post
      I think it may be more accurate to say that the Claimant has more technical offences via POFA 2012 Schedule 4, as without POFA, the keeper would have no liability at all!

Private parking in summary: The driver is the only person who can enter into a parking contract with a PPC. The driver was the one who (presumably) read the signs containing the terms and conditions of the offered contract of parking, and it was the driver's action of "parking" that implied the driver's alleged acceptance of the offer and, thus, form the contract with the PPC. However, usually the PPC will not know who was driving a particular vehicle at the time of the alleged breach of contract, so the only option available to them (POFA 2012 outlawed private clamping and towing) is to obtain the RK's details and use POFA to hold the RK liable for the driver's alleged breach of contract. But in order to use POFA the PPC has to follow the rules in Schedule 4 very closely, which they often seem to be unable to do. The bottom line is that if the driver is named, the PPC's job is much easier, as they don't have to follow POFA Schedule 4 and can go after the driver directly.

--Topolino di Chiesa
      The liability can be transferred, via PoFA, to the keeper of the vehicle.
      The 'keeper' is defined as
      keeper” means the person by whom the vehicle is kept at the time the vehicle was parked, which in the case of a registered vehicle is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to be the registered keeper;
      There is also the law of agency to consider (eg CPS v AJH Films http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2015/1453.html ).
      Lease/HP/ Motability cases must be factored into the mix.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Sorry, finding it a little tough to follow everything as I'm nowhere near as clued up on this kind of thing as all of you.

What should I be doing next?

Comment

Originally posted by catman1 View Post
          Sorry, finding it a little tough to follow everything as I'm nowhere near as clued up on this kind of thing as all of you.

What should I be doing next?
          I would suggest you visit MoneySavingExpert, specifically the Parking Tickets forum there, and read the "Newbies" thread. That will give you a good overview of the process and the steps you can take.

--Topolino di Chiesa
          Notice: Nothing written above this line should be taken as legal advice, or as any other kind of advice, for that matter. It is absurd, bollocks, crazy, delusional, erroneous, fatuous, garbage, hysterical, incomplete, jocular, kooky, ludicrous, malapropos, nescient, out-of-date, pathetic, quisquilious, ridiculous, sapless, tactless, unsuitable, vapid, wrong, xecrable (yeah, yeah, why don't you try coming up with a suitable word​ beginning with 'x'?), yieldless and zeroable.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X