• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking Eye CCJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking Eye CCJ

Hi
    Parking Eye got a default judgment as my son stupidly ignored the correspondence issued to him.
    Once I found out about the CCJ I made him send a cheque to ParkingEye in the amount of the £175 stated on the claim form (£100 claim amount, plus £50 legal costs and £25 court fee). This was done within 28 days of the judgment date to ensure the debt was not entered on the register of judgments,

However ParkingEye rejected the cheque stating the amount owed was £197.

We have received a copy of the judgment which does confirm the amount is £197.

I presume the £12 is statutory interest, however having read Parking Eyes Claim Form (copy attached), there is no mention of statutory interest. Can interest be applied if its not included in the particulars of claim??

I would appreciate any advise on how we can proceed as it appears to me ParkingEye have been awarded £50 in legal fees that they are not entitled to claim plus interests that was not requested.
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: Parking Eye CCJ

Hi

That is the original court claim, not the judgment order.
    Have you got copy of the latter?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

This is not the first time PE have tried this.

Comment

What matters is the total the court awards that's why it is staying on record needs setting aside now

Comment

Hi
          I attach the judgment - my son had lost the original copy of this judgment when we made payment to ParkingEye. As there was no mention of interest on the claim form we remitted £175 to ParkingEye in the belief that this would satisfy the judgment in full.

Is it usual for the court to apply interest even if not requested in the particulars?

Thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

£100 debt.
            £97 costs.
            Forthwith.

Did your son respond to the court claim in any way?
            If not, why not?
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hi
              No my son did not reply to the Court Claim or any previous paperwork, why? because he is 22 and stupid - he hid the paperwork possibly hoping it would go away

The Judgment states £100 for debt (and interest to date of judgment) and £97 for costs.
              The claim form states £100 for debt (no interest requested in the particulars) and costs of £75 (£25 court fee + legal rep £50)

How can a default judgement be made for more that the amount claimed???
              Last edited by YorkshireRose; 26th November 2017, 15:34:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by YorkshireRose View Post
                Hi
                No my son did not reply to the Court Claim or any previous paperwork, why? because he is 22 and stupid - he hid the paperwork possibly hoping it would go away*

How can a default judgement be made for more that the amount claimed???**
                *Probably because of this bit.
                **As for the latter.......because the court has ordered it.
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation - I presume there is no way now to prevent this from being entered on the register of judgments? It was a genuine error not paying the full judgment amount

Comment

Depends. If it is less than a month since the judgement then it should not go into the register if paid straight away. Otherwise you could apply, with PE's consent, to have the judgement set aside. PE will want the money and it will be £255 to the court or £100 if PE are willing.

Comment

Thanks Ostell
                      I am still a bit stumped as to why the default judgment issued by Northampton was for £12 more than the claim value.
                      I am not aware of any other fee that is applied for entering judgment (please correct me if I'm wrong) and there was no provision for statutory interest in the particulars - surely the court can't arbitrarily apply addition costs

Comment

The court does have discretion, via CPR 27, to award costs as they see fit.

Unfortunately, as your son chose not to engage with the court, I fear that the court may have imposed 'extras' as a result.
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X