• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DVLA Demanding licence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA Demanding licence

Bit of a more unusual one from what I can see here.

I have just received a letter from the DVLA demanding that I return my licence for endorsement on foot of a court hearing on the 22nd December at which I was apparantly convicted of a driving offence.

The bit that most confuses me is that I know nothing about any court hearing let alone that I was served with anything. Thinking it was a scam I popped into the local police station to be told that apparantly its related to an incident on a specified date in July in North West London and that I was written to and ordered to supply details of the driver.

Now while I had moved in the summer, the move PREDATES the alleged incident (I moved in May, this incident occurred in July) so addresses were correct on the DVLA system to best of my knowledge (Driving licence date of issue in the new address is certainly well before the alleged incident date.)

I have checked my records for that date and discovered that I was actually working in Birmingham that day (until about 4pm) and I was off for the rest of the week so had no reason to be in London. As a result I am confused as to what I am alleged to have done in the first place.

Is there any way of appealing this and getting it overturned on foot that the DVLA or whoever failed to contact me to request the information in the first place.

I am guessing that for it to get this far I have missed

Original demand for owners details.
    A reminder
    A final Demand
    Notice of intention to prosecute (May have been same as final demand I have no idea)
    Court Summons.
    Decision from court (I would imagine they are required to notify me in some way?)

Because of the nature of my job I work hard to keep my licence clean so I have no reason to ignore anything of the sort and added to that I can prove that the vehicle was not in North West London on that date (the Court/Fixed Penalty Office states North West London so I presume something happened in that area?).

Does anyone have any knowledge of anything similar or any advise for me?
    Tags: None

Re: DVLA Demanding licence

You need to phone DVLA and ascertain which court has endorsed and fined you.
    You then need to contact the court in writing and explain that you have no knowledge of the conviction. You will be required to make a statutory declaration and the case will be re-opened and your conviction quashed. There will be a new hearing.
    You may well have been convicted of Section 172 failure to furnish driver details.
    If so, that carries a normal penalty of 6 points and £200 fine plus £25 victim support fee.
    If you don't do this, you'll receive a total of 3 requests from the DVLA and they will then revoke your licence.
    If you are a new driver (less than 2 years since passing test) the 6 points will revoke your licence and you'll then need to pass another test.
    If not a new driver, the revocation will occur but you'll have 12 months to sort it out, during which period you can keep driving.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X