• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

illegal clamping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• illegal clamping

A year ago a private clamping company, clamped my car for none payment of tax.
    The car however was on private land, and the clamp was removed, after I pointed this fact out to the clamping co.
    The car is an item of historic interest, ( a classic cadillac ) and it was damaged in the process of clamping.
    I have written numerous letters to the clampers, who first requested proof.
    I supplied photos of the scratches and an estimate for repairs.
    The firm now say they are not responsible, and refuse to discuss it further.
    Have I any recourse? and how do I go about it.
    Tags: None

Re: illegal clamping

IMO if they damaged the vehicle they are liable for the repairs.
    This applies to any one who causes damage to a third parties property, even if the vehicle is being legally removed the removers have to ensure they cause no damage..

If they aren't replying a letter before action may stir them into a response, if you are prepared to go to court.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      Who do I take to court.
      I was advised earlier on the site, that I cannot sue a Gov department.
      Is it of any use writing to the DVLA?

Comment

I am surprised if you were advised that a UK gov. dept cannot be sued. You can sue government departments in the UK courts, and you can sue the UK government in the European Court of Human Rights, and in the European Court of Justice.

You cannot sue the government for certain things. You can't sue them just because you don't like government policy. You cannot sue them for failing to deliver on an election pledge (this has been tried before and failed, on the grounds that election promises are mere aspirations, and can change from day to day in different circumstances.)

You can sue the government for failing to protect your human rights under the European Convention on Human Rights, if you have exhausted all legal channels in the UK, in the European Court of Human Rights. If the case is successful, the UK must change its domestic law to comply with the ruling. The Human Rights Act 1998 tries to reduce the number of times the UK is in the dock, by incorporating the majority of the Convention into UK law, and making sure existing laws are interpreted in a way which complies with it.

People often sue the department for health, the ministry of defence, the home office etc.

The following government departments are listed in the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007 as corporations which may be prosecuted criminally (and sued for negligence) for corporate manslaughter:
        Assets Recovery Agency
        Attorney General's Office
        Cabinet Office
        Central Office of Information
        Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service
        Crown Prosecution Service
        Department for Communities and Local Government
        Department for Constitutional Affairs (including the Scotland Office and the Wales Office)
        Department for Culture, Media and Sport
        Department for Education and Skills
        Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
        Department for International Development
        Department for Transport
        Department for Work and Pensions
        Department of Health
        Department of Trade and Industry
        Export Credits Guarantee Department
        Foreign and Commonwealth Office
        Forestry Commission
        General Register Office for Scotland
        Government Actuary's Department
        Her Majesty's Land Registry
        Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs
        Her Majesty's Treasury
        Home Office
        Ministry of Defence
        National Archives
        National Archives of Scotland
        National Audit Office
        National Savings and Investments
        National School of Government
        Northern Ireland Audit Office
        Northern Ireland Court Service
        Northern Ireland Office
        Office for National Statistics
        Office of the Deputy Prime Minister
        Office of Her Majesty's Chief Inspector of Education and Training in Wales
        Ordnance Survey
        Privy Council Office
        Public Prosecution Service for Northern Ireland
        Registers of Scotland Executive Agency
        Revenue and Customs Prosecutions Office
        Royal Mint
        Scottish Executive
        Serious Fraud Office
        Treasury Solicitor's Department
        UK Trade and Investment
        Welsh Assembly Government

You can also sue a police force, which is a branch of the Home Office, a government department.

The above is what I understood , and to save typing have lifted it from elsewhere.

I am not suggesting you issue a county court claim as not enough is known about the circumstances of your complaint

Comment

Good afternoon
          Thank you for your email. Please be advised that you cannot issue a claim against a Government department.

Court clerks are not legally trained and cannot give advice on such matters. You may wish to seek legal advice or contact your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau with regards to your query.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Elizabeth Gibbs

CCBC Emails Correspondence
          Northampton County Court Bulk Centre
          St Katharine’s House

thanks des8
          this is the reply I got from you know who.

My car, an old cadillac, was wheel clamped outside my house by dvla agents - in the process the car was damaged, ie scratches (obviously caused by the clamp - he didn't have manoevring room, as there was little space between vehicles) & marks occurred in the paint where the labelling was adhered - my vehicle was on sorn & off road legally parked. I then had to produce proof that the land it was on was off road/private. This took time and money, as they wouldn't accept my word. They removed the clamp & I filmed this. I produced photographs of the damage & wrote to the clampers' firm. They denied any damage & refuse to discuss the matter further. To have the damage repaired, because it is a classic car, it is expensive. Where do I go from here? THANKS!

Comment

Well you might like to refer Elizabeth Gibbs to the Crown Proceedings Act 1947 & CPR 66 for starters.
            I note her letter states they are not legally trained and cannot give advice but writes "please be ADVISED you cannot issue a claim against a Government dept".
            Perhaps you can sue her for erroneous advice

I appreciate what you say about classics. Others here know my only cars are classics (MGB GT & AC 2L Saloon).
            Your difficulty is working out whom to proceed against. The DVLA as principal who are vicariously responsible for their agents actions, or the agents who actually caused the damage.
            The DVLA might be easier, as they might be more prepared not to defend and just pay up.
            Do note the "mights" as I really don't know which would be the easier target. Others here might have opinions they will share.
            And you still have to prove who most probably caused the damage.

Comment

Isn't the convention to issue against the relevant Secretary of State?

Comment

As the DVLA is a government agency and not a department I think the person named on a court claim will be the Chief Executive.

Before starting court proceeds it would be advisable to go through the DVLA's complaints procedure.
                http://www.gov.uk/government/organis...ints-procedure
                If nothing else it has the advantage of being free:tinysmile_grin_t: and if you end up in court a least you have tried ADR

Comment

Thank you for the replies.
                  i will read the URL above and investigate further.

Comment

thanks again des 8.for the URL.
                    Just looked at the GOV site.
                    I will try to get some sense from them.:tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

I would suggest that you would need to sue the clampers who actually caused the damage before looking to the DVLA to sort it

Comment

I'm not sure that you're correct there Righty.
                        If it comes down to suing someone (and I would still try and avoid that by going via DVLA complaints procedures) where there is the possibility of multiple tortfeasors it is important to
                        chose the one most advantageous to the claimant.
                        If the wrong defendant is selected, no damages!
                        If both are selected but you only win against one, your damages could be wiped out by adverse costs awarded to the other.(probably n/a if small claims).
                        The factors that need to be considered include potential legal liability (including questions of the merits of the case against each defendant, and vicarious liability,
                        The vicarious liability test is akin to employer/employee relationship:
                        i) employer more likely to be able to compensate victim (carries insurance)
                        ii)the tort committed whilst employee acting on behalf of employer on employer's business
                        iii)the employer created the risk of the tort by instructing the employee to carry out that particular activity
                        iv)The employee is to some extent under the control of the employer

If you were to proceed against the clampers I just wonder if they could point the finger at DVLA (they's the boss, they made me do it).
                        Could they raise a defence on the basis that the DVLA was the principal, and as agents they the clampers were not liable as they were on DVLA business?
                        Anyone like to comment?

Comment

Name them both in the application I would then they can fight it out between themselves as to liability. This is important if the claimant doesn't know wether or not the DVLA indemnifies the clampers for any incidental damage they may cause

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X