• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.

Cloned number plate.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloned number plate.

One of my lodgers has had his number plates Cloned . So far there have been three requests for the drivers name for speeding. Two for not paying the dartFord tunnel fee and one for using a mobile phone whilst driving.
    He is as you can imagine deeply worried. So far he has returned the forms sent with a covering letter explaining that the car was parked at the time at my house in Cambridge . He has obtained a statement from his employer that the essential at work fifty miles from where the alleged offences occurred.
    I can voucher for the car being parked at the house at the relevant time and I expect that the neighbours can as well. If it it is any use he has a black box in his car fitted by the insurers. This will show the times the car was started and stopped . I think it may also show the lAston known location. Would a print out of the information sent to each of the relevant authorities help?
    Apart from waiting for the next letter to arrive is there anything else he can do?

Has he told the DVLA and the police what the suspects?

Thank you Ostell, he has reported it to the police service in essex but not to DVLC yet . I will advise him of that course of action . The difficulty is compounded by the fact the photo of the cloned vehicle is the same make and year and a similar model. The cloned version is a four door saloon, his is a two door coupe with sunroof.

Has he requested a photo of the offending vehicle?
        It could be that it will show distinguishing marks between the vehicles eg stickers.
        This happened to a friend, and he was able to show that the offending car had no trailer hitch, whilst his did.

Oops crossed with post 3

Originally posted by seduraed View Post
          The difficulty is compounded by the fact the photo of the cloned vehicle is the same make and year and a similar model.
          That is the whole point in cloning the car, it has to be similar to be effective, if it was totally different there is a chance of the Police or VOSA picking it up on the road. Not that that helps your lodger
          Sorry i'm just thinking out loud, it might be irrelevant, I am not employed in anyway in the legal profession, please ensure you research any advice I give before using it I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions.

Thr police have writtrnback to say that tey are no longer pursuin hi for the offences in view of information that has come to light. So i hope that this sorry case is finished.

No announcement yet.

upgrade to vip

Want exclusive access to forums, more privacy and a live chat box? Upgrade to become a bigger part of our community.

only £15/yr

Offers available. No subscription traps.

Resolver is a free automated complaints system that can help with all kinds of consumer complaints - including missold PPI and Package Bank Accounts.

make a complaint

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm