• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Had a crash, no one admitting fault...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a crash, no one admitting fault...

Hi All,

Hoping for a bit of advice.

Was in a car accident recently and no driver admits fault.
    No decision has been made yet but copart want me to take car into their choice of garage for repairs.

It looks like around £6000 in total to repair both cars.

It could end up 50-50 blamewise, and even though I'm sure it wasn't my fault, there's a chance it could be found against me.

Do I have to send the car to the insurer's body shop?
    Is there any benefit in not doing?
    How would the different outcomes of the investigation affect what I should do now regarding repairs?
    Will I be liable to pay more than my £500 excess if my fault?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome

Who are your insurers?
    I wonder where copart fit into the scenario 'cos AFAIK they are auctioneers.

If there is a dispute over liability let your insurers handle the whole lot.
    You CAN choose the repairer but IMO it is not a good idea, if only because if the work is substandard the insurers will wash their hands of it and you will be responsible

I assume your ibnsurers have passed the matter over to a claims company.
    These will want your repairs done by their "approved" repairers because they get a kickback
    If they arrange a courtesy car (usually actually a hired car so beware!) they will get a kickback

If you are found responsible for the loss your insurers will pay 100% of the third party claim, your contribution remaining at the excess (£500) on your own claim

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply.

Sorry I meant co plus, the accident management company.

One more question, if I am found to be at fault for an accident, do I have to get my vehicle repaired or can I choose to live with it if it's driveable?

People are swarming around offering to repair my car and supply hire cars.

If I take these offers up and then I am found to be at fault, will I be liable for the cost of hire cars etc.?

Obviously I would have to claim on my insurance for the third party's costs, but should I be looking to keep costs down on my side just in case?

Thanks

Comment

What insurance do you have? fully comprehensive or third party/fire & theft

Comment

Hi sorry it's fully comp..

Comment

In that case I would let the insurers sort the whole lot out.

You pay your premiums to cover the eventuality of an accident involving 3rd parties and damage to your own vehicle.
            If you are found to be liable to some degree and it involves payment to the third party it will affect your NCB (unless protected) so no point trying to reduce the cost of your repairs.
            If the insurers arrange the repairs to your vehicle, they are liable if the repairs are substandard., but if you arrange for the repairs it will be your responsibility to ensure they are of a good standard.
            Unless your policy guarantees a courtesy car, beware of offers of a hired car as they can work out very expensive

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X