• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sold Car - Person I sold to had 2 105mph speeding tickets in 2 days.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sold Car - Person I sold to had 2 105mph speeding tickets in 2 days.

Hi

Hope you can help. Any guidance gratefully received. Hopefully the below is clear but probably not so please ask any other questions.

I sold my car over a year ago to a private individual dealer and he sold it to someone else. I sent the forms off to change owner, but it seems DVLA didn't receive or process them. The new owner of the car was going 105mph twice over 2 days on the same Motorway and I recieved forms for both offences.

I only thought this was one offence and only just found out it was two.

This was 10months ago so although I can't fully recall, I have been getting parking tickets and speeding tickets from all over the country from this person so have had a lot of paperwork to fill in. I may have been sent two documents and thought they were duplicates so may have only responded to one.

On all responses to the Police I stated that I was not the driver and gave details of who I sold to and the dates etc.

4 weeks ago I received court forms for one of the offences. I pleaded not guilty due to the paperwork I had sent in previously.

I received no other court forms, but have received £660+£151 fine and 6 points on my license.

I called the Court and asked for a Statutory Declaration I have to book this. This is when I found out I have two cases against me. The court date for the one I pleaded not guilty for is in July.

As summary I have I received points and a fine for a court date I did not know about. I also have another court date upcoming.

Obviously this is worrying as if I get another 6 points here I can get banned!

My plan is:

1) Get the statutory declaration and get a new date for the case I never knew about. Hopefully the same date as the case I pleaded not guilty to.

2) Go to court and defend myself. I will have a witness who knows I sold the car (he sold it for me) and I will have a witness statement from the dealer saying I sold him the car.

Other questions:

1) It wasn't;t my car. Doesn't that mean all charges are not relevant? Even the non-response since I wasn't the registered keeper?

2) Anything else I can do?

3) They are obviously saying I didn't respond to either of the cases request for driver details. This is not true I gave details of the dealer I sold the car to. I sent the details by post. Can they just say "didn't receive it"?

I have a witness to state that I was asking for the details of the person who I sold the car to i.e. why else would I be asking for the details unless I intended to send off the info?!

4) if I get 12 points I am banned. I have only ever had 3 points on my license previously in over 20 years! Anything I can do to stop this in worst case?

5) Is the £811 fine and 6 points standard or is it due to the fact 105mph is a high speed and on paper to a magistrate it looks like it was me speeding?

6) I guess "I thought they were the same case" isn't a defence?

Thanks

D
    Last edited by d1ngle; 23rd May 2018, 15:56:PM.
    Tags: None

DVLA will always send out a letter to the previous registered keeper informing you that the details have been changed the system. Unless you have a RECEIPT of Bill of Sale, Im afraid you will be held responsible as by law, you are still the registered keeper.

Comment

I do have the receipt and the dealer has agreed to write a witness statement

Comment

I am quite confident about the proof of sale, my main issue is the proof that i sent info off the police after I heard of the offence. Or does that differ if I can prove I didn’t own the car at that point?

Comment

always a problem DVLA I sent new keeper slip and old slip informing sold to, only to find out they acknowledged new keeper slip but not myself as a new keeper of the new vehicle, yet they were posted in the same envelope, luckily I got to back pay 5 months tax but to argue would lead to more charges etc that is the extent of corrupt government agencies who fail to show hands up our mistake. how can one show it was in the same envelope? no technology for that yet

Comment

Which is why when dealign with "companies", always have proof of posting, or even better, special delivery, keep a track of everything. The 3rd party insurers who admit liability in my case (see the thread) disputed concussion, last night I found pictures of my shattered helmet and damage to clothing so sent that to solicitor, she is ecstatic i found them. Along with medical proof, they dont have a leg to stand on!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X