• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Secondhand car from dealer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secondhand car from dealer

Hi everyone, I purchased a car on 18th November 2017 after a week or two the automatic gearbox was playing up so I told garage and they then booked it in for a what they call a flush this is like a service for the box that cured it for about 8 weeks then the same problem appeared again so again it went and had another flush which was on 18th April at that time they were also supposed to fix acoulpe of other problems Which they didn't do the garage gave me 6 months warranty when I bought the car but now they are saying because it's had work done on it the warranty only covers up to a thousand pounds and a new gearbox would be about £3000 can anybody tell me where I stand here the car has been in a garage about 6 times since buying it. Any input or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome

First things first... how did you pay for the vehicle? Finance HP? cash? Credit card?

Comment

I part exexed a car and paid the rest in cash

Comment

It's getting short on time. You have 6 months to reject the car without (too much) hassle under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and that is approaching fast, in fact 2 days. Write a letter to them rejecting the car as it is of unsatisfactory quality and take it round to them now. You want a return of the cash paid plus the value of the trade in. You need to get it to them by tomorrow, before the 6 months is up.

You have got more than the 6 months as the clock stops while it is in for repair but it reduces the chance of arguments if it's there before the 6 months. You have to give them 1 attempt to repair but you've already given them that

Comment

If you can't get to the garage you can reject it verbally (over the phone) as per Consumer Rights Act 2015(CRA 2015) sec 20 Right to reject

(5)The right is exercised if the consumer indicates to the trader that the consumer is rejecting the goods and treating the contract as at an end.

(6)The indication may be something the consumer says or does, but it must be clear enough to be understood by the trader.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Sorry to bother you again but I failed to mention that getting my moneymaking wasn't really an option well one that would have gone in my favour what I need is the work done my main concern is the automatic gearbox because they are so expensive it's had a problem with it since buying the car and as I said before its had different procedures performed on it but still I think it's not as it should be I've been told by other mechanics that the box sounds faulty ultimately I would like them to replace the gearbox but they don't seem to want to do that, is there a way I can get them to fix it as I know the 6 months is up now

Comment

Re the 6 month time limit...
                Having reported the fault the clock stops ticking until the goods are put into a satisfactory condition.
                The time spent being repaired does not count towards the ^ months so you are probably still within the time limits of CRA 2015

Re repair
                You have the right to repair or replacement (CRA2015 sec 23)
                There are certain caveats regarding proportionate costs etc

Comment

Thank you

Comment

They are saying the costs would be excessive blah blah

Comment

Well in that case it is rejection and refund of purchase price and your costs less an amount for usage

Comment

Apparently the warranty they gave me with the car only covered up to £1000 of work and they say the work would be more like £3000

Comment

Thank you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X