• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Excess mileage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excess mileage

Hello
    new to all this and was wondering if anyone could help me . Am in a dispute over excess mileage on a car I voluntary terminated the contract on . Do I have to pay it . Can anyone help please
    Tags: None

Have you read the agreement? If so, what does it say?

Comment

Probably best to give more details, when did you get the car, when did you VT the car, what mileage was on the contract, how much mileage was on the car, is it only mileage they are claiming or is there other 'damage' who was the lender.

Also there are many many threads on this, have a good read, it will give you some ideas & then can come back with specific questions
      Last edited by Phaeton; 5th April 2018, 08:54:AM. Reason: Spilling
      Sorry i'm just thinking out loud, it might be irrelevant, I am not employed in anyway in the legal profession, please ensure you research any advice I give before using it I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions.

Comment

Well they set it at 5000 a year which I was unaware of at the time which nobody dose that a user. I was 15000 over I vt my contract just over 3 years . They are saying that I owe £190 in damages I don't mind paying that just not happy about paying for the miles

Comment

Hi,
          I too have VT my car in Feb 18, paid over 50% of car mileage was set in agreement on purchase was 41000, on VT mileage was 51247. Car returned in good condition I never signed any VT application but simply gave details which they asked for regarding agreement no. in an email, address & date of birth. Car was inspected by BCA, I received an invoice stating I owe them £1250 for excess mileage and had 14 days to pay or they would take it from my direct debit. I wrote back staring I would not be paying the amount quoting sec99 CCA 1874 as I had done a bit of research on this subject and read of not having to pay it and how finance companies try it on to demand the amount.
          Do I stick to my guns on this as they have a perfectly good car returned as a lot of sites state they can’t demand excess mileage?

A advice greatly appreciated.

Regards
          CGodders

Comment

Hi CGodders,

Nobody can make that decision except for yourself. I would suggest you read the following links to help you understand.

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...on-your-rights

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...larke-pls-help
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by CGodders View Post
              Hi,
              I too have VT my car in Feb 18, paid over 50% of car mileage was set in agreement on purchase was 41000, on VT mileage was 51247.

I received an invoice stating I owe them £1250 for excess mileage and had 14 days to pay or they would take it from my direct debit.

A advice greatly appreciated.
              Cancel your Direct Debit authority right now!!

Comment

I cancelled my diect debit the moment I informed them over the phone I wanted to VT. Recevied letter from VW finance today with them quoting sec 99 (2) explicitly states “Termination of an agreement under subsection 1 (the right to terminate) does not effect any liability under the agreement which has accrued before termination “.
                Then they go onto to quote Clause 11.1 etc. With another invoice for £1250 excess mileage charge!
                Not sure what to reply to this letter.

Thanks
                CGodders

Comment

The legal argument is about "accruing before termination" - and that is that there can be no accrued amount until you actually VT - in other words there is no accrued debt whilst you are paying.

Their argument is pro-rata there's an accrued debt every mile you incur over the pro-rata at that point.

Legally it's not very sound, but a Court may still side with the appellant.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X