• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Blank PCN!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blank PCN!

Hi All,

Looking for some advice regarding a PCN notice issues by a local council. A yellow envelope was left on the vehicle but the paper inside was blank. It is not clear who issued the ticket, details of the fine, what to pay or whom to pay to!

The driver is a n elderly gentlemen who approached the local council to let them know their error, but how does this stand from a legal perspective. Does the fact the ticket was not properly issued hold any sway in our favour.

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

It's not unheard of for pcn's to be removed by a third party. The council will almost certainly maintain that the pcn was in the envelope when placed on the vehicle and therefore correctly served.

Phone the parking dept of the local council and give them the reg no. They will be able to tell you the pcn no. which you can then use on their website to find out the contravention and see their photographic evidence, at which point you can decide whether to pay or challenge.

The one thing you don't do is ignore it and hope it will go away, it won't

Comment

But the OP stated that there was paper inside but it was blank. The ticket machine ran out of ink perhaps and the Attendant didn't notice.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
        But the OP stated that there was paper inside but it was blank. The ticket machine ran out of ink perhaps and the Attendant didn't notice.
        Oops, missed that bit. Was it a completely blank piece of paper or was it headed with the council logo etc but no details of the alleged contravention?

If the latter, whatever you do don't lose it, it's a get out of jail free card.

Comment

The paper is blank on both sides, one side glossier than the other. No logo or any other way to identify the issuing party.

Comment

OK, the problem I have is that all council pcn's that I've seen are basically pre-printed with all the statutory information on the front and back and the hand-held PDA merely prints the vehicle and contravention details at the appropruate places on the front of the pcn.

In other words it would be impossible for the PDA to produce a completely blank piece of paper.

So we are back to either the CEO didn't put the pcn in the envelope or it was removed by someone after it was placed on your vehicle.

Comment

or it's a joke one.

Comment

It could be heat sensitive paper, sounds like it, that is used for printing and with those no problem printing logos as required. Hold a corner in the heat rising from a flame and see if it turns black. The paper has been put in upside down or the printhead has gone.

Comment

Originally posted by michael View Post

Phone the parking dept of the local council and give them the reg no. They will be able to tell you the pcn no. which you can then use on their website to find out the contravention and see their photographic evidence, at which point you can decide whether to pay or challenge.
                  Do this and then go from there.
                  COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X