• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How much council tax will I pay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much council tax will I pay?

Hello.

I live with my Dad who owns the house and doesn't pay Council Tax because he's a pensioner on pension credit. After college I was unable to find a job so I was on Job Seekers Allowance which I believe didn't impact on whether my Dad should pay any Council Tax. However at the start of last year I came off Job Seekers Allowance and registered as Self Employed. Last year I earnt £9135 gross.

I'm trying to find out how much Council Tax I will pay each year. The house band says the Council tax bill should be £990 per year. But I'm not sure if I pay this?

Through searching I found this page: citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/help-if-on-a-low-income/help-with-your-council-tax-council-tax-reduction/how-your-council-tax-reduction-is-worked-out/council-tax-reduction-non-dependant-deductions-for-pensioners/

I think this applies to me but I am unsure. Would I pay the £3.74 a week from that page instead of the full council tax?
    Tags: None

Re: How much council tax will I pay?

Hi Sekik !

IF your dad lived alone he would probably qualify for 100% council tax support ( previously known as council tax benefit ). However, if you live with him and over 18 years of age, you are regarded as a non dependent and that will raise a reduction in his council tax support by what is known as a 'non dependent deduction'. That will raise a council tax bill for your dad, it is still his bill, not yours, although in the spirit of things it is something you should reimburse your dad.

It is calculated on your wage and I believe that is now set on minimum wage constraints even if you declare less as a self employed person. I am currently helping a friend with his council tax affairs and he has a daughter in full time employment but he has no discernible income of his own. The non dependent deduction there is currently about £12 a week, or some £624 a year in council tax payments.

From what you say, £990 a year for full council tax sounds low even for an 'A' banding and suggests that your dad receives a single persons discount of 25%. Does the council know that you live with your dad? IF not, then you must inform them as it could be considered an element of fraud on your dad's part.

Comment

Re: How much council tax will I pay?

As you say your dad is on pension credit, he would normally not pay any Council Tax, but as he has a non dependent (you) living with him, he will have the non dependent deduction shown on that Citizens Advice page.

If he was under pension age, things are more complicated as council tax support for non-pensioners has been "localised" so it is up to each council to determine what NDD it sets - this probably applies to [MENTION=62334]Snoopy1948[/MENTION]'s friend.

You should also look at whether you are entitled to claim any working tax credit, see https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...#guide-content

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X