• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

NDR Non Domestic Rates problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDR Non Domestic Rates problem

Sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum, please move it if needs be

The council are pursuing me for a non-domestic rates bill for a property that I leased out. The Lessee says they vacated and the council believes him, but he traded on, with witnesses.

I have now got a Summons but I will defend this as I am not the person liable.
    I know about the Local Govt Finance Act, but it doesn't seem to apply to Business Rates?
    Please, can anyone give me some ammo, I can't pay and I really am not liable but I can't find the right laws to assist me defending this.

Any advice please.
    Tags: None

Re: NDR Non Domestic Rates problem

Was the person still on an active tenancy agreement, ( does not matter if he has ceased trading for liability, only for amount due )

If he did move, under most circumstances, they would be liable up to the end of the month ( NNDR ).

Dont you get any releif when its empty , ?? how much is the yearly NNDR ( minus the multiplyer )
    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

It was a business Lease, he carried on in the property, even so had to give 3 months notice to end. Relief is 3 months empty property exemption which the council are applying but there is still about 6 months that they are coming after. The rates were higher than any the small business relief threshold.
      Do you know the laws that regulate NDR?

Comment

Hi

When did the tenat have the property clear and handed back to you, If that was in line with the three months notice, that stops his liability there, if not, and he continued to triade, his liability is over atthe end of the last month he traded.

Do you know the laws that regulate NDR?
        some of them, but there is a massive variance depending on the type of commercial property, the size and the amount of rates. ( Ie need a few basic details ). They also vary now council to council,

If the regs are still the same, and it applied to your property,

Slightly leaky roof ( not always provable ), jammed door, and a million other small problems would pop up, before that initial three month period had run out.. Because, its only immediately chargeable for NNDR if its ready to lease out

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-busines...ildings-relief

need a few more details to advise
        crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Thank-you for responding. The bill dates from 2012, so what a shame about that retail relief, is there anything like that for 2012/2013? The guy was in occupation and traded. I have provided proof but they are still pursuing me saying that he has said he quit. I can see that councils now get to keep around 50% of all the business rates they raise? That could prove a big motive for pursuing so heavily.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X