• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax despute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax despute

I am in dispute with my council over their assessment of my self employed earnings. I have been to see them and ask to look again at the figures, and to explain to me how they arrive at their assessment, of my figures. They won't explain their figures, and told me that if I still do not agree with them, that I should appeal in writing, which I have done within the time limit set by them. I had not received any correspondence until today, in the form of a bill to be paid by the 2nd of April, or court proceedings will follow. I want to know if I have to pay and continue the dispute, or can I withhold payment and continue the dispute.
    Regards Paul.
    Tags: None

Re: Council tax despute

Hi welcome that is I guess a standard response.
    You need to make payments on time whilst the dispute is ongoing, as no doubt the council will issue a summons very quickly.

Comment

I have the same problem . there re specific rules as to what is allowed. If you can get to the library or bookshop try and get hold of a copy of "Help with housing costs 2014 2015" Lister and Ward published by shelter . I've found the advice very good . But give me ome examples and look them up regarding expenses . The rules for lodgers re specific and quite tight .

Comment

I have for many years prepared my accounts, and the council, have never questioned them. I understand what can and can't be claimed for, and I have studied their website which gives all the information on their allowances for income and business costs etc. They won't tell me how my income has been exaggerated by their assessor. The accounts are simple, no VAT, sole trader, to me it is basic maths.

Comment

Have you tried a subject data access request which should get them to reveal all the information held about you . Have you put in an official complaint. Speak to your local councillor ,most of them aren't too bad. Then possibly go down the route of the local government ombudsman . Another thought is an FOI request asking if their criteria for assessing self employed income has changed since last year ? Both those lst two will cost a tenner . I d't know how broke youare if tht kind of money is affordable .

Comment

oh keep paying ask them why there has been no response to your appeal .

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X