• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax liability whilst Living abroad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax liability whilst Living abroad

Hi, Hello to every one. I could do with some advice, It is about getting charged for council tax whilst being abroad working. I have a liability order from the 1st April to June 2014. I am a Brit, and lived and worked in Asia.

I was a tenant with a housing association, and left quickly to catch a flight to work for 12 months +. My council tax was all up to date to the 1st April 2014, I flew out of the UK on march 26th 2014. I had no intension to come back, and would not live in the UK for quite a while. But, I had to come back for personal reasons on the 18th August 2014. Having a residence permit and work Visa for my host country in my passport.

Now back in the UK, living with friends for a while received a Council tax liability order notice for my old address. The order was made in a magistrates court in august 2014, when I was still working and living in Asia. I couldn't defend my self, being along way away, or even knowing.

It looks like the housing association never received my letter of ending the tenancy, and then informed council tax bill via post. So now liable for the 1st April 2014 to June 2014. Even although was not in the UK during these dates

I would like to know, if I am liable by statute law. Meaning what ever the landlord says, and inform council tax dept. That my sole residence ended in march 2014, via passport dates etc, and had no intention of returning to the address, that there is no case for liability?

I got a pretty good feeling what ever the council says, I am going to pay.

regards... thanks in advance
    drew
    Tags: None

Re: Council Tax liability whilst Living abroad

What has happened to the tenancy? Are you also being chased for rent for this period?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X