• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Over paid council tax - Can I claim a rebate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over paid council tax - Can I claim a rebate?

Hi all,
    apologies if this is answered elsewhere but if it is I can't find it.

i have been paying council tax in London for the past 7 years.
    When I set up the payment I was told over the phone by the local
    council tax department that it included the 25% single person discount.
    i have just discovered that I have actually been paying full rate the entire time.

Now I'm sure I must be able to get a rebate for this year, but can I claim one
    for the previous six years?

local Council is Lambeth.

any help appreciated
    Tags: None

Re: Over paid council tax - Can I claim a rebate?

I am unsure how far back you can claim overpayments, how much does it total as it may be that instead of directly refunding you they may set it off against this and/or future Council Tax bills.

I do know that if you had overpayed due to incorrect banding you can claim back to 1993 but unsure of overpayments in your case
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Thanks for your input.
      sadly the banding is correct, it's just the info I was given over the phone 7 years
      ago that was incorrect, compounded by me not seeing it on my statements.
      i see what you mean about off setting it against future council tax.
      Sadly the only reason it was noticed now is that I am moving from the area to another local council which is why I am keen to get my money back now!
      i am just going to have to ring them Monday and try my luck...

Comment

If you are moving to a different area then they should refund the account you were paying from or send a cheque as they would be unable to offset it against future bills under a different local authority/council area.
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X