• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax Arrears back to 1993 - how far back can they go ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax Arrears back to 1993 - how far back can they go ?

Posted on behalf of new user

Looking for advice about council tax arrears. I am 62 yrs due to health reasons have been on income support for 20yrs council tax was deducted from my benefit at source,when I recently qualified for state pension,a week ago,the payments stopped and I received a letter from the sheriffs officer's showing arrears of £2427. I went to local council produced proof of pensions and pension credit.I was told these arrears dated back to 1993 and had accummulated I was shocked, why had I not been advised of this before. contacted the sherrif office by email offering to pay a weekly amount. How far back can they claw back arrears please? any help appreciated thanks.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Re: Council Tax Arrears back to 1993 - how far back can they go ?

If the council didn't obtain a liability order in the first 6 years, they won't be able to obtain one now:
    https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/...s/Page-04.aspx :thumb:

A council should not go to the magistrates’ court and ask for a liability order for council tax, more than six years after the council tax became due. This is under Regulation 34(3) Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992.

Comment

If Sheriff's Officers are involved this must relate to CT in Scotland which is a different ball game to us here in England. You will need to find someone that knows about the Scottish system. Do we have a Debt in Scotland Forum here like they have on CAG?

Comment

Certainly my local council got liability orders dating back more than twenty years, last year. So they had no red the regulations. They were also for three times more than the bills but they have failed to explain this!

Comment

Bit late I know but In Scotland they can chase Council Tax arrears for 20 years.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X