• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax liability when a couple split

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax liability when a couple split

I have split up from my spouse and want to know the legal position regarding outstanding council tax.
    Before we married my spouse had already fallen behind with payments, the tax and the tenancy in my spouse's sole name.As I tried to improve the financial pressure on the Council's advice I had my name put on the bill starting this April so that they would talk to me about arrears etc.
    When I left the marital home in August I went and talked to the council and paid off half of what was still due from 2012. Am I right in thinking that my liability is now just for the half outstanding for 2013? We seem to be getting identical mailings. i do not want this to go to court with my name on it.
    :tinysmile_cry_t:
    Tags: None

Re: Council tax liability when a couple split

It's called joint & several liability. In other words the Council can chase you both separately for what is outstanding and unfortunately if the cannot get anything out of your spouse they can make you pay the whole lot, but this should only be up to the date you left.

Comment

thanks, that's what the council have just confirmed..could be worse I suppose, at least I advised them quickly that I had left their property

Comment

Make sure you get it in writing from them about accepting the date of your move. Many are those who have further demands for periods when they have not been resident.

Comment

Act quickly on the advice given by Plodderton in the above post.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X