• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Oh no not again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh no not again

Last year I was being pursued by a council for Business rates. We shut the business (my daughter and I)in December 2011 due to ill health. Got what I thought was the surrender sorted out at the time and paid all bills up to date including the business rates.

At the time I did inform the council over several emails that I was not the lease holder (last year and still have them. Also informed them that the Landlord had lost the Statuary Demand case as the judge believed that no rent was outstanding and that the surrender had been accepted). They just said they didn't care as I run the business. I couldn't come to a repayment plan with them so I had no alternative but to go bankrupt as there was no way I could pay what they asked for. They wanted £1200 per month. The amount they were trying to claim was £5000.

Now that I have gone bankrupt they have found out my husband was the lease holder so now they have sent him the bill of £5000.

I am so annoyed as it seems that I did not need to go bankrupt if like everyone else they had checked who the lease holder was.

Now my husband is 68 years old and claims state pension and this we both live off as I did not qualify for any unemployment benefit.

My husband owes the house we live in and we are now so worried that they will go after the house.

As yet this is not at the stage of bailiffs or liability order but I am sure within the next few weeks it will be. I just want to try and stop it getting to any of the above stages so would like any info from anyone of how to proceed.
    Tags: None

Re: Oh no not again

Hi Sueham,

Wow, I remember your case so well. This is mad! IMO you really need to try to get legal representation for this. At the end of the day we are not solicitors on here, just keen amateurs tryring to help.

How much are they demanding this time? Have the business premises not been released?

I can't help but think that if you got proper representation over this, you would have a very strong case, and quite possibly a case for damages due to your BK last year.

I'm really sorry I can't help, but please try to get 'proper' legal advice and get this sorted once and for all.

:bump::bump::bump::bump::bump:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X