• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

wrong date on letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrong date on letter

Had a bailiff put a letter through my door this morning about my council tax
    i was in a agreement with the council and miss a few payments a wack a letter from Stanford and Greed

The debt was given back to the council from S & Greed and now given back to them as i missed a payment,well today is the 3/9/2013 and the letter was dated 29/8/2013 5 days ago.

The liable order was back in 2006 and ive been paying £5 since as i m an benefits.This company has tried before to de fraud me and i contested it through the help of you uys (thanks again) and they had to knock £350.00 that they had get out of me.

Any way need some help on this before they call again e mail the council to let them know ....and advice would be appicated..THANKS
    Tags: None

Re: wrong date on letter

Firstly, have they ever had a valid levy against the debt?

How much is still owing on the Liability Order?

What are the bailiffs charging so far?

Why do you not suggest the council deduct the money straight from your benefits in future t stop this happening again. It would be easier for both you and them.

Comment

Yes they have had a valid levy but was passed back to the council cos they had charged me £350 when they shouldn't had,and there bailiff that attended was already in court so ,there handed the debt back.

£650 is owed to the council for council tax going back to liability granted in June 2006

so far there charging £650 council tax and there first letter fee

Comment

What bailiff company and council is this p;ease?

Comment

How much was the original LO for, and when did you start paying it? If you've been paying £5 per week for just five years that would be £1300. You've been paying longer I imagine - surely it should be paid off by now. Are you sure £650 is still owed?

Comment

Stanford and green.
            isnt it wrong to put a letter with a wrong date,as a lot of there work is done on time limits and days.

Comment

That's without there fee,s

Comment

Please could you answer the question in post 5? :beagle:

With regards to the date, if it is a generic letter, then the date is pretty much irrelevant, as long as it is not out by miles.

Comment

The council tax goes back to 2006,and they were for 2 years,which were not paid and fees added.

i called the council they refused to take the debt back kept saying its with the bailiffs,and told me to call them,I call them they were refused my payment which was the same as I was paying the council,and said we need full payment,I'm on £71 benefits ...should I go to CAB?

Comment

Whether or not you go to CAB is entirely your choice. They can be good or they can be less helpful depending on the knowledge at your local branch. You are also likely to have to make an appointment there which may delay things.

However, given you have so far had a letter, I think you should write back, with a copy to the Head of Revenues at the council, explaining your situation and asking for the repayment arrangement to be reinstated, and deducted at source from your benefits.

Whether, having defaulted on the arrangement for a second time, they will do this, I don't know.

In the mean time you should continue to repay the agreed weekly amount directly to the council via their online banking or their automated telephone service. Both give you the option to pay it towards the relevant year. Pay it like clockwork, no matter what happens for the time being, and post up when you get a reply to the letter asking for reinstatement of the repayment agreement.

If you have any other concerns in the meantime, don't hesitate to post them up.

I'd also be inclined to send Letter 1 from hereto your local council:

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...Useful-Letters

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post

I'd also be inclined to send Letter 1 from hereto your local council:

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...Useful-Letters
                      If it were me I would send that one to the Bailiffs for a current breakdown of fees. As for the Council you need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:
                      1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
                      2 - the dates they were obtained
                      3 - the addresses they were for
                      4 - the period of time each covers
                      5 - how much each one was for
                      6 - how much is still outstanding
                      7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement
                      8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

Comment

Thanks,as this council tax is in my name,not my wife s ,can they clamp our car,which is registered in my wife's name.

Comment

No, it is your debt, not hers. Double check on the council tax though - it is normally a joint liability which could change things.

Comment

Originally posted by sanj View Post
                            Thanks,as this council tax is in my name,not my wife s ,can they clamp our car,which is registered in my wife's name.
                            Who was resident at the particular time? If solely yourself then they may only seize your goods. If married at the time and living at that address then it will be seen to be jointly & severally liable in which case the car will be at risk.

Comment

It's not joint it's solely in my name,for that year,and that council tax liability is on my name only and they haven't mentioned my wife's name in any correspondent to this order what so ever.
                              usually it would say MR AND MRS SMITH,but its solely in my name.
                              So if the order is solely in my name regardless,wether my wife lives with me they cannot clamp HER car,but before they clamp the car surly they have to levey on it.Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X