• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

council tax on a burnt out house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• council tax on a burnt out house

Hi all
    I have recently bought I house that has been burnt out and have recieved a council tax bill from north lanarkshire council, i have sent them photo's showing them that the house is not habitable due to having
    no roof
    no floors
    no windows
    they said its a non furnished house, i complained a bit and they have now gave me 6 months from the sale date which was november, hardly any work has been done to the house due to doing the work my self, being short of money and very bad weather (until the last few weeks)
    I can see a few ways round this but a few questions as well.
    1) I can say the house is to be demolished and changed my mind, but then would i be liable for back dated tax ?
    2) Taking the boards off the windows and have the house deemed dangerous by Building Standards Operations then boarding it up, then un boarding it again etc, is there any limits on doing this or is it a once only get out ?
    also they are tax banding me on the value before the burn out and charging me for water rates (included in the tax up here) can I have it re rated and do i i have to pay for water as its not connected ?
    Any suggestions will be looked into so dont be shy !
    Cheers
    Karl

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Tags: None

Re: council tax on a burnt out house

I'm not sure how things work in Scotland as the situation is a little different to us mere mortals south of the Border but would think what they have said is correct. For empty properties my Council charge you double the standard rate of Council Tax to make you bring them either up to standard or to rent out. You may need to involve our local Councillors.

Comment

A marvellous example of council greed and stupidity. Contact a national newspaper!

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
        I'm not sure how things work in Scotland as the situation is a little different to us mere mortals south of the Border but would think what they have said is correct. For empty properties my Council charge you double the standard rate of Council Tax to make you bring them either up to standard or to rent out.
        It might be somewhat challenging to find a tenant for that "house" other than, perhaps, a ghost.

Most tenants would like to have at least one floor and would prefer the running water not to denote a cascade down the walls.

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
          A marvellous example of council greed and stupidity. Contact a national newspaper!
          It's Alex Salmondism gone mad !

Comment

Seems to depend on where you live, each council makes its own rules. For uninhabitable properties I think Brighton waives all tax, whereas others give 50%.
            Here in Ceredigion an uninhabitable property is exempt for 12 months

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
              Here in Ceredigion an uninhabitable property is exempt for 12 months
              Is that just if it is also uninhabited?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                Is that just if it is also uninhabited?
                Interesting question. If it is inhabited after it has been condemned would the council be seen as condoning an illegal action if they charged council tax?
                When we were restoring some derelict cottages here in Wales in 1980's we lived on site in a caravan for 18 months and weren't charged council tax or community charge or whatever was in force at the time. I never queried it officially, but off the record was told the council wanted these rural properties brought back into use and so helped as much as possible.

Comment

Ask for it to be reassessed!

Comment

If i have the house condemned what would be needed to get it back to being un condemned, I am just thinking in terms of building regs, would it then be treated as being a new build again ? Does anybody know about the "dangerous building" route ? i have seen buildings in Glasgow centre that are only the front wall with supports behind them, surely they are not paying tax on them ...

Comment

Good question. Exactly when does it stop being a house or building? Write, asking them for a legal definition.

Comment

When we were restoring our cottages we had to get full planning permission. They were derelict and one hadn't been lived in for 10 years, the other two had been unoccupied since the thirties. They had never been condemned as unfit....they had just been left.
                        If you have your property condemned by the council they might require it demolished, or put a time limit on its renovation. If you fail to comply I think they can step in , do the necessary work and then bill you for it. At least I think that's the position in England & Wales.
                        I would suggest an off the record chat with your local councillor and planning department to find the best way forward. You don't want to antagonise them as life is easier with their support than without. The building inspector can make life very difficult!!

Also have you appealed to Lanarkshire joint valuation board http://www.saa.gov.uk/interactiveservices.html
                        You have SIX months from purchasing property in which to appeal for a re rating, but even if you're a bit late I would give it a try.
                        Point out you requested the council for a new valuation, but they declined without indicating the appeal should be made to the board.
                        Last edited by des8; 25th June 2013, 19:11:PM.

Comment

Is there a ombudsman that I can ask to look into this ?
                          I have been onto the department that deals with dangerous buildings and they unofficially said that if i remove the boards (or board) i can get them to put it on this the list again, the guy said he thinks i would get 28 days to board it up again and get it signed off, remove the board again an go round in circles doing that, dont know how long i would get away with it though

Comment

Originally posted by karl t View Post
                            Is there a ombudsman that I can ask to look into this ?
                            Yes (link)

Comment

I have hopefully been helped out by another department, i spent a fully day at a drop in centre in Wishaw and had the council tax office in Motherwell contradicting themselves every 10 minutes. I have now got a letter from Building Standards Operations saying that the house is dangerous to enter but not a danger to the public so there is hopefully no time limit on the exception

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X