• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Renting - Broken Garage door

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renting - Broken Garage door

Hi,

Wondering could someone help me on this. I have been renting a flat for almost two years now, through an estate agency, which includes garage. Few weeks back I was trying to park the car in the driveway and hit the door slightly which left the door with a small dent. When I was trying to adjust the loosely hanging door the spring tension has gone. I tried to find some local garage door repair person to find the level of damage and got to know that it was a very old door (older than 10 to 15 years) and they don't have any parts in the market and have been provided a quote for replacement of the door. The mechanic is aware of the dent also mentioned that this has heavy wear and tear without any maintenance (yearly servicing or oiling).

I had reported the estate agent about the door, and they come back saying landlord can only pay 1/3rd of it and rest should be paid by me?

Any advice on how to proceed on this is much appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Renting - Broken Garage door

possible about correct, although unfortunate for you.

If the damage would have been just by normal usage ( age ) then it would be the LLs responsibility, but because you did knock it, its part yours

The LL has probably offered 1/3rd because thats what any adjudicator judge would suggest ( if the curcs are straight forward )

It may be worth getting a number of quotes, garage doors ( depending on type ) between £ 200 - £ 300 , fitting £ 200 - £ 300. Just amke sure any contractor is insured
    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Thank you for the response, Estate agency has received a quote from their preferred supplier. I have received another quote which is about 200£ cheaper (though that doesn't include painting the garage door to match the color of other garages doors in the block of apartments). Hope I should not be charged for painting it to color of their choice?

Comment

Yes, the terms in the tenancy usually is some variation of

leave items fixtures and fittings, in the same or similar condition as to when the tenancy started, save for normal wear and tear.

Because the other garages match the colour, then yes, it should be left the same colour , It may be worth trying to knock the approved contractor down a bit, but, if you use your own contractor, make sure there appropriately insured
        crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Hi Crazy Council,

Thank you for your response. If I don't agree to pay the 2/3rd, which I have been asked what is the next legal options and any idea about the charges for that please?

Comment

oo, wouldnt recomend not paying

If its an affordability issue, you can negoteate with the agent a bit further,
            maybe see if you can get there approved contractor to lower there price to match what you got,
            or to get them to pay half, due to age and condition of door,
            or, ask them if they can take the payment over a few months..

but the agent has offered a third towards already, and the damage was because you bumped it, it would be hard to argue

What to be carfull of.

As well as the tenancy terms i mentioned above, there are other conditions in relation to security, and insurance the agent will have to consider. If there are flats above the garage, it will have to be secured asap,

Comment

We came to a mutual agreement. Thank you very much for the advice Crazy Council.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy council View Post

oo, wouldnt recomend not paying

If its an affordability issue, you can negoteate with the agent a bit further,
                maybe see if you can get there approved contractor to lower there price to match what you got,
                or to get them to pay half, due to age and condition of door,
                or, ask them if they can take the payment over a few months..

but the agent has offered a third towards already, and the damage was because you bumped it, it would be hard to argue

What to be carfull of.

As well as the tenancy terms i mentioned above, there are other conditions in relation to security, and insurance the agent will have to consider. If there are flats above the garage, it will have to be secured asap,
                I have found the best company here in Calgary to help me to repar my garage door. Here is their web site https://www.advantagegd.com. The guys are awesome. They have came very fast and check the problem also the solution was offered very quick. I liked the fact the the price was very competitve. My parents also had a problem with a garage door. I have adviced to adres to this comapny. They also remained satisfied with the soluction and the price. Also they do the instalation of the garage door not only the maitainance.
                Last edited by AmyYoung06; 29th June 2020, 06:04:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X