• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Visitor parking space right in front of entrance... after 15 years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitor parking space right in front of entrance... after 15 years

Hi, i have a property/parking problem that i'd like some initial guidance on.

I live in a group of 6 terraced houses that is set slightly back from the road, and there is a shared entrance that we all use to get to our properties. (see pic)

I'm not sure who owns the land in between the houses and road, just that it's designated as shared maintenance and is managed by a property management company.

The problem is that there has been an issue further down the road in another area managed by the same property management company and they are now threatening to enforce visitor parking spaces through the use of a private parking control firm, throughout all the properties in the road. (The parking scheme would require visitors to pay for parking).

It seemed like an innocuous threat at first until i realised that one of the designated visitor parking spaces they wish to enforce is directly in front of my front door. (see pics)

A car/van parked in this space will create a significant obstruction with regards to access to my property. Its mid-terrace so there's only one way in and out, and as such any obstruction directly in front the entrance would prevent delivery of large household items, garden fences (ok, not everyday items but what happens if i do need this access and someone is parked there?). You wouldn't even be able to put the bins out if both spaces (mine + visitors) were occupied. There's also the issue of accessibility from the point of view that my parents are in their eighties and may well require wheelchair access in the future. (They don't live at the property, but do visit)

Another factor that may/may not effect the case is that the estate was built around 16 years ago and the first owner of the property built a path and added shrubbery in the space that is designated as a visitor parking space - so it's never been used as a parking space - and due to the path/shrubbery i was unaware that it was a visitor parking space. (The previous owner obviously "forgot" to point this out when selling...). Does the fact that its never been used as a parking space and has in fact been used as a private path for 15+ years give me any rights/protection here?

Note, I've tried parking both my cars in the existing space (ie, without removing the shrubbery) and its not possible to open the doors, so to get 2 cars there will require the shrubbery to be removed.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Martin

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X