• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Right of drainage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right of drainage

Hi,
    I'd really appreciate some help.
    We've lived at our property for 3 years and my neighbours have a solicitor writing to us that we have a trespassing drain.
    Our property used to be one house and none of this came up in the purchase or survey. Our deeds say that we have a right to existing drainage. Does that mean it's not trespassing?
    The neighbours are threatening cutting off our access to the drain, which is running through their house. They can't do that, can they?!
    Thank you
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome.

How long ago was the property split ?

Comment

Thank you so much for replying. The properties were split 20 years ago but I think ours was completed 18years ago.

Comment

Regarding the solicitors claim that you are trespassing by having a drain through your neighbours property, I doubt it would stand up in court.
        1) the drainage was arranged when the building was divided, and so both parties involved were in agreement
        2) it has been in existence for 20 years
        3) your deeds & therefore the register (have you checked with land registry. both properties) show the easement

Regarding the threat to cut off access to the drains
        !) was it in writing?
        2) did it come via their solicitor?
        3) what has caused this problem to surface after three years?
        4)I think environmental health would be interested if they actually did block your access to the sewer.

I would suggest a quick call to the solicitor who carried out your conveyancing is in order to ascertain what the searches threw up at that time

Comment

Do the deeds from the Land Registry show any covenants relating to the separation?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X